Forum Discussion

Akuhei01
New Contributor
4 years ago

Ridiculous packet loss and latency.

Massive amount of packet loss. Video streaming and gaming is impossible. This is the only reason i even have the 300 mbit tier. Also COVID is not an excuse. You are still taking my money. I'm paying for something and not getting it. Any help?

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Dammitjim
    New Contributor II

Not likely. (If they haven't already) First they'll tell you it has to be your equipment, and try to talk you into renting theirs ($10+ per month). Then they'll say they have to send a technician out, who will again tell you it's definitely your equipment (this costs $75) and they'll say they can waive those fees and support all your devices if you subscribe to tech support for $20 per month.

If you're lucky, after you pay some or all of these fees and replace your equipment a couple times, they'll "find an issue in your area" and run wires to your house again, and when that doesn't fix it (because their node is oversubscribed or allowing too much noise) they'll "escalate a ticket" and tell you "it'll be fixed soon" - kind of an empty promise, because you've already wasted a lot of time and money on it and "soon" doesn't mean the same thing to them that it means to you and me.

Can you tell I'm bitter having been on this carousel for a while already?

Akuhei01
      New Contributor

I'm already bitter. lol. 5 months left on contract. :(

ChrisL
        Former Moderator
        We'd hate to see you leave, I took a look at the connection from this end and I'm not seeing any packet loss however it does look like most of your devices are on the 2.4Ghz wifi which isn't ideal. Can you try testing a wired connection and see if that works any better?

-Chris
      BerserkRage
      New Contributor II

My "oversaturated symptoms" started last summer and got progressively worse. I just made a new post regarding this but I called them in January and our node split was supposed to be in July, no fix, then September, so far no fix. If it's delayed again I'm moving to triad wireless since there is no other cable/dsl that services my area. I know 90% of internet companies are like this as well and a complete joke, but this is ridiculous.

• Same thing here - Cox telling us it's our house that's at fault.  Funny, the house hasn't changed, moved been altered since May when service was excellent.  And this from a FCC supported monopoly.  Dreadful state of affairs they've been able to get away with since Ajit Pai killed Net Neutrality.  But that's another story.  I have friends in Canada, where Net Neutrality wasn't killed, and they're just fine through Covid's increased traffic era.  Funny that....