Forum Discussion

J62
New Contributor
4 years ago

Slow internet every afternoon and evening

I have the 150 mps plan. In the morning a speed test shows 145 mps. Then everyday it slows to 20 mps in the afternoon and by early evening it is below 10.  It will not keep my wireless set boxes going without constant freezing and loss of video and sound. Why can’t this be fixed? I live in east Henderson NV.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    TheNightHawk
    New Contributor II

I have the exact same issue.  I also am in east Henderson, NV.  I even upgraded to gigablast and the issue persists.  They first blamed my old cable modem before I upgraded, even though I told them the speeds were fine in the morning and that indicates its not the modem.  My new top of the line modem makes no difference.  Support has rebooted it many times and the only effect is the stupid support chat window freezes up and I have to start all over again.  Getting very frustrated!

TheNightHawk
      New Contributor II

HMMMM.....This is a very likely culprit. Wish they would share this with the tech support team when they do this so I don't waste time with them rebooting my modem 5 times. 

arstechnica.com/.../

TheNightHawk
        New Contributor II

I have gigablast service and a brand new DOCSIS 3.1 modem.  I just did a speedtest and got 10mb down.  I then connected to a VPN and did a speedtest.  Guess what, now I get 110mb down.  Still not Gig, but it does tell me that me/my neighborhood is being throttled as the article in the previous post indicates.  What a rip off! 

Cox:  Hey bud, you having trouble with your slow throttled bandwitdh???  How about we upgrade you to gigablast, its SUUUUPER FAST. 

Me : Ok

Cox :  What we won't tell you is we will still throttle the hell out of your connection to the same slow **** speed and charge you more!  We win.  You lose.  Guess what else, we won't tell our support team either so you can have fun with them troubleshooting. 

CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello J62,

We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

-Crystal S. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    quixotictif
    New Contributor

1-844-227-3943 notice how there really aren’t any topics in the forum praising cox for an excellent job....do yourself a favor and cancel service. That’s the number.

RJJR
    New Contributor

Also, have the same issue, and was offered GIgablast. The old and new routers have the same problem, at the same time you are describing here, so it has to be COX's throttling, bad infrastructure, or work they are doing. The technicians are like robots, that try the same fixes to no avail because I don't think it is the routers. I get 10mbs to 20mbps if I am lucky, and this is unacceptable. Where I live, there is only COX, so I am held, hostage. 

RJJR
      New Contributor

Nonsense...When you are getting only 10 - 30 Mbps on any device when you have either 300Mbs-Gigablast plans is false advertising. They need to "beef up" their network to handle the traffic if they are going to advertise, they can provide the speeds. Are you a troll? If I got half of that, I wouldn't be as made but 10 - 30 Mbps, that is unreasonable. 

matt6815
    New Contributor II

Do not listen to the cox reps ... they have no clue what they are even doing. I have the same issues my buddy who works for google fiber told me the same thing . Cox lines are over saturated a *** load and super old. Anytime during hours when people are home the evening time and afternoon time your internet is going to lag. They just can’t handle that many people on their server..... you are pretty much screwed ... they will tell you to fix all those issues and waste all your time ... trust me I did it all nothing works they are just trying to buy time.