Forum Discussion

2 Replies

• Hi ArizonaDon. Are you hardwired to the router or wirelessly connected? IF you are hardwired, please try the following for testing purposes. Please temporarily bypass the router, disconnect the ethernet cable and the power cord to bot the modem and the router, wait for 30 seconds and then plug the power to the modem back on. Once it comes back online, please connect your computer directly to the modem and run a few speed tests to see what your speed is. I apologize that you may need to maintain this connection for 24 hours to see if your connection slows down.

If you are wirelessly connected, please hardwire your computer to the router and run a few speed tests for the same timeframe to see what is happening. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

A Gigablastier plan?  Probably no time soon.

This is a "Multi-Gig" port.

There used to be 2 Gigabit-Ethernet standards (1-Gbps & 10-Gbps) with no standard in-between.  Perhaps the technology for 10-Gbps got cheaper so manufacturers took a 10GBASE-T port and clocked it down by 3/4 or 1/2 for 2.5 or 5 Gbps.  Or, perhaps, the chips for 10GBASE-T are still expensive but the port itself is cheap and the current chips for 1-Gbps can still support a clocked-down version of a 10-Gbps port.  I don't know.

If you subscribe to gigabit service and your provider throttles up your bandwidth based on "excess capacity," your modem wouldn't be limited to only 1-Gbps.  This scenario wouldn't be a probability but instead a possibility so it'd be nice if your DOCSIS could handle the temporary increase.

It's a nice feature but I wouldn't pay extra for it unless my router also had a Multi-Gig port.