Forum Discussion

Dbatech
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Gigablast ripoff, Cox not standing behind product, but taking money and ignoring the problem.

I have been paying for gigabit+ $50  for no cap for over 8 months. I have made multiple complaints to Cox. Techs have come out and vetted the inside of the house and the issue is not there. At one brief period during this 8+ months, I have seen for a time consistent speeds of no greater than 500 mbps. It has since gotten worse, and I rarely sustain 300 mbps consistently. Have had multiple calls complaints, no resolution. Yet, I still get billed for gigabit+ $50 monthly. Chat is a total joke. It's a ruse to keep you from calling in to get any real resolution. When you call, good luck getting through the multiple hour wait it will take.  There is no network issue in my home. I have literally been paying since day one gigabit prices (plus modem rental required) for speeds consistently less than what the Ultimate plan offers. The darn line has been sitting on the ground running from a ped across a neighbors lot to my entry point on the house for 8+ months. Yep, just bare cable sitting on the ground. Neighbor has to manually manipulate the cable to mow. So many techs have been scheduled to come out and resolve, yet there the cable lays. How insane is this? I have wasted so much time on phone calls, chats, you name it. Cox seems happy to keep collecting buckets of money from me for falsely advertised service. Is this because they know we need internet for work and kids' online schooling? Shame on you Cox. Don't believe me support? Check my account history. No one has been interested in resolving my issues that have been present from day one. Yet they still collect the money monthly for a service I am only getting around 200mbps this week ... but being charged gigabit + $50 for no cap since day 1. Can anyone help me?

7 Replies

• Hello Dbatech, We can certainly address any/all account related concerns for you. Please send us an email with your name, full address, and a brief description of the issue and/or link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    IntenseNV
    New Contributor II

I noticed that with my gigablast, I got about 400-550 download on WiFi inside the house.  However, when I ran a 40 foot cat-8 ethernet cable from my panoramic modem to my laptop in the other room, the download speed doubled to 900-950.  Don't know if this is an answer, but I have found the true gigablast download from Cox will only work when it is hardwired through the ethernet ( this is to a computer OR your ethernet input on the back of your television). 

Dbatech
      New Contributor II

True. However, I am not measuring the speed of my wifi network. I am measuring the speed using Cox's own tool directly off a hardwired connection to their Panasonic modem, which I rent. I should also divulge, I make my living as an infrastructure, IT technical solutions consultant. I am very adept at configuring networks. I can assure you these simple "you are probably missing this or need a reset yada yada yada" configuration errors are not the case with my speed. I appreciate your response, but wifi speed is not the issue here. I have an enterprise grage wifi6 router that has 2 Gigabit coverage in my house, so my wifi is more than capable and is being limited by the Cox service, which consistently stays below 300mbps ( less than  a third of the 950+ promised with Cox). 

ChrisL
        Former Moderator
        I checked the modem from this end for you and I see that it's still in setup mode which is supposed to disable the connection. I'd suggest visiting http://192.168.0.1 to setup your wifi name and password then try testing your speeds again as you have been.

-Chris
    Zurq
    Contributor II

Just downgrade from gigablast no use in paying for something you aren't getting.

Dbatech
      New Contributor II

So another tech came out today. Rerouted to another ped. Speed did not improve at all. Either this line is extremely congested, or Cox is throttling me. What is the solution here, besides Cox continuing to advertising/charging for gigabit speed without actually providing a third of that in actuality?

djpeery
    New Contributor II

Same here. Not only our speeds not even close to a gig, the internet turns off fire a minute and back on probably 100 times in a day.