Forum Discussion

nyhanson
New Contributor
4 years ago

Internet disconnects every 12 hours at approximately same time each occurrence

Good morning, I have a Netgear Gateway C6300V2 that has been disconnecting from the internet approximately every 12 hours. The lights on the device look normal like my connectivity is good, but the logs show that I've disconnected from the internet for approximately 5-10 minutes each occurrence. It used to happen around 4pm/4am but has gradually moved to 6pm/6am over the last couple of weeks. Could this be a DHCP renewal causing the downtime?

I'm unable to log into my router when the disconnect occurs, and a ipconfig command shows no connection at all to the internet. All wifi devices and my PC connected via ethernet to the device cannot access the internet during the downtime.

Any ideas how to fix this issue? I'd share logs but I think my first post may have been disallowed because of including them. So I'm reposting.

14 Replies

nyhanson
    New Contributor

I forgot to mention my device appears to be running the most recent Cox firmware v1.03.04 so I dont think that's the issue.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It reads like a scheduled process, such as a parental control on the router or a chronological process on your neighborhood node.

During the downtime, have you called Cox to check the connection to your modem?  If a tech doesn't discern anything and the lights on your modem indicate "operational," it may be an issue with your router.  Has it always been this way or have your recently changed something?

nyhanson
      New Contributor

Parental controls are not enabled on my gateway device. Now perhaps it's a neighborhood node issue, I dont know. By the time I reach Cox, the issue is typically resolved. Again, it's 5-10 minutes of downtime. And when I do reach someone they don't see any issues and just ask me to reboot the gateway. Again, this is a new router/modem. It seems to have only started occurring since i've owned it. My last router was also a Netgear, but my modem was a Linksys. A tech hasn't been to my house in about a year or so prior to me purchasing the new gateway. I had connectivity issues then, and it turned out to be a few bad wires that were replaced, and after that he checked all of the connections and said I was getting strong signals to my modem.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Sometimes we don't know the expertise of new contributors, so Parental Controls was just to ask the obvious.

You could call Cox, thoroughly explain your discrepancy and request the tech re-provision your modem.  Be steadfast for the tech to re-provision.

bearone2
    Contributor III

chrome disconnects or not responding message every day around 1130.

i've learned to live with it by closing program/don't try to fix...win10/64b, re-start chrome & it's good til shutdown around 1030.

suggest you do the same.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

That wouldn't explain the status with ipconfig.  If your browser quits at a certain time, it may be the browser trying to do something but your firewall is blocking it.  Is there anything peculiar in your Windows Event Viewer or firewall logs at approximately 1130?

helpdeskgeek.com/.../

bearone2
        Contributor III

i haven't looked but will check & report back!!

firefox doesn't have the same issue & i run 'em simultaneously.

Description

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Faulting Application Path:              C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:                      AppHangB1

Application Name:                           chrome.exe

Application Version:                         83.0.4103.116

Application Timestamp:                   5eed05ff

Hang Signature:                                83bd

Hang Type:                                        134217728

OS Version:                                        10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID:                                           1033

Additional Hang Signature 1:         83bd619b4b55ff41252fb93c4acff46a

Additional Hang Signature 2:         18ff

Additional Hang Signature 3:         18ff18ec83b0a99cf8df89797a72d94d

Additional Hang Signature 4:         83bd

Additional Hang Signature 5:         83bd619b4b55ff41252fb93c4acff46a

Additional Hang Signature 6:         18ff

Additional Hang Signature 7:         18ff18ec83b0a99cf8df89797a72d94d

Event Viewer

nyhanson
      New Contributor

In my case, it's not a browser issue. All wireless and wired devices cannot reach the internet. The modem lights look connected, but when I try opening http://192.168.0.1/ it's unreachable, and like Bruce said below when I go to the command prompt and type ipconfig I'm totally disconnected from the internet. I can't ping anything. That is done process is attempted on my PC which is connected via Ethernet direction into the back of the gateway.