Forum Discussion

EFT1
New Contributor II
4 years ago

GigaBlast Speed

My Giga blast was installed in early February. A hard wired connection was getting 940 up and 940 down , as advertised.

My wireless speeds were roughly 500 up , 500 down.

Then Covid 19 hit and suddenly my speeds dropped to wired 300up, 300 down..... Wireless, 100 up and 100 or less down.

I called Complete Care , which I subscribe to , and they switched me to tech support. Another issue I don't understand , since I pay extra for that supposed service.

Tech support tested my equipment and they were not able to read it. They made an appointment for a technician to come to my house and possibly change my modem.

The tech came , but would not come in the house and asked me me if I knew how to change out the modem, and he would walk me through it. Normally that would have not been an issue, but the location of the modem is in a closet where the smart box is located. The router is right next to it. It would have been a very tedious task to get to it . It would not have been easy. When I described the location of the equipment , the tech advised me not to tackle it because if I cut the fiber by mistake , I would be without internet completely. Since then there has  been no improvement in my speeds and some days  they clock much worse than others.

Once again I called tech support a couple of weeks ago and they switched me to the Giga blast department. They informed me that they are still not doing in house calls , and that speeds would eventually come back when Bandwidth demand drops.  I find this to be a lot of BS, since they are advertising new specials and giga blast speeds all over TV.

The point here is, that I am sure Cox services PREFERENTIAL  customers and PREFERENTIAL installs, but will not service the average customer .

I have a two year contract with Cox , and they can be sure I will not renew that contract if this issue is not resolved soon.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • EFT1, the forums are for technical assistance via the expertise and assistance of the forum community. They cannot assist you with this issue.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing any speed issues with the Gigablast service. We do not provide preferential service. Out of an abundance of caution and for everyone’s safety, we are exercising social distancing. The good news is that we’re still sending technicians to people’s homes. However, our technicians can’t go inside the house.

I truly regret the inconvenience, however, once the techs are able to enter the homes we can get to the equipment. You can call and make an appointment for a future date. The Techs and our Dispatch Team will be able to assist you in-home when the restrictions are lifted.

Thank you,

Mike J.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      EFT1
      New Contributor II

With all due respect, I disagree with you. It seems like these forums relate to many other issues , and most seem to be technical issues with Cox services. The question is : If Cox is not coming into people's homes to do installs or service calls, why are they advertising ? In many homes and businesses, it would require a technician to access the property . I suggest that Cox re-think their policies, since I have had other services that required in home access and have had no problem with them coming in the house. Further, Century Link has not had the same issues with their speeds. I have friends that have Century Links Fiber , and they have not had a slow down in their speeds. 

spbahm
    New Contributor

I understand how you feel completely. I’ve had Gigablast since before Covid and never had better then 200 download and 20/25 upload. I feel that Gigablast is falsely advertised and I have been grossly overcharged for a service that Cox can’t provide. 

EFT1
      New Contributor II

Agreed ! Cox seems to overcharge for all their sub par services. The truth is , if they didn't have a monopoly in most areas , they wouldn't have half the customers they have presently. 

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello,
      the purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone, and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. I'm very sorry that you are experiencing such slow speeds.

Thank you,

Crystal S. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        EFT1
        New Contributor II

Thank you for the assistance. I will reach out regarding this issue on Facebook.