Speed halved after recent outage

Equipment: Arris SB6190 (have a SB6183 on standby if needed). ASUS RT-1900P router.

Hello,

My first and hopefully last post in this forum. This is pretty straightforward. I’ll try to explain what’s happening, and what I think the problem is.

A few days ago, Phoenix experienced an outage around 12:15-12:30 AM local time. I remember it because I got a text from a coworker who asked if my service was out and if I could remote in check if our network backup provider had kicked in at work. It did. My service was restored in about 20 minutes (Thank You, techs!), however I noticed something very quickly.

I’ve had Cox for about 18 months, and when I signed up, I had the double play (TV and Preferred 100 internet). This was then bumped to 150 mbps. I later went to internet only. Service has been great. I was averaging 150-170 mbps on wired and 140-160 on wireless (not really important, but figured to list it).

When my service came back up, I was maxing out at 91-93 mbps on wired and 75-77 on wireless. I did the usual, reset connections, power cycle, etc. Still got the same speeds. I brought up chat with a Cox rep, and they said I needed to “turn off” my devices, then tried to sell me on Panoramic Wi-Fi. I ended the session. I started a new session, who offered to send out a tech, and I declined. Later, I called Cox support. I got a great rep who spoke the tech language, and saw that my modem was receiving the wrong “service level”. In essence, although I was paying for 150/10 and it was on my account, the modem thought I was on a sub 100 speed. He said he “fixed” the issue and sent out a new signal. It worked for about 5 minutes, I was getting my 150+ speeds. It then kicked back down to 91-93 and has been there since. I had hung up with the rep when the issue returned. He mentioned if his trick didn’t work he would need to send a reprovision request, and have to basically set up as new.

I think what he’s saying is correct, because in a previous instance last year, I lost signal and when it came up, I was getting sub-100 speeds and was told by a rep that my modem thought I was still on the Preferred 100 plan, not the new Preferred 150. The fix there was a reprovision.

If it’s the modem, I have a spare. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Parents
No Data
  • Well, I’m now coming up on 48 hours of 120+ mbps down, and have been satisfied. This is the longest I’ve had those speeds since June 24th. I’ll give it until tomorrow, and if it’s still behaving I’ll mark my question as answered.

Thank you,

-Ryan

Children