Read the forum guidelines
Equipment: Arris SB6190 (have a SB6183 on standby if needed). ASUS RT-1900P router.
My first and hopefully last post in this forum. This is pretty straightforward. I’ll try to explain what’s happening, and what I think the problem is.
A few days ago, Phoenix experienced an outage around 12:15-12:30 AM local time. I remember it because I got a text from a coworker who asked if my service was out and if I could remote in check if our network backup provider had kicked in at work. It did. My service was restored in about 20 minutes (Thank You, techs!), however I noticed something very quickly.
I’ve had Cox for about 18 months, and when I signed up, I had the double play (TV and Preferred 100 internet). This was then bumped to 150 mbps. I later went to internet only. Service has been great. I was averaging 150-170 mbps on wired and 140-160 on wireless (not really important, but figured to list it).
When my service came back up, I was maxing out at 91-93 mbps on wired and 75-77 on wireless. I did the usual, reset connections, power cycle, etc. Still got the same speeds. I brought up chat with a Cox rep, and they said I needed to “turn off” my devices, then tried to sell me on Panoramic Wi-Fi. I ended the session. I started a new session, who offered to send out a tech, and I declined. Later, I called Cox support. I got a great rep who spoke the tech language, and saw that my modem was receiving the wrong “service level”. In essence, although I was paying for 150/10 and it was on my account, the modem thought I was on a sub 100 speed. He said he “fixed” the issue and sent out a new signal. It worked for about 5 minutes, I was getting my 150+ speeds. It then kicked back down to 91-93 and has been there since. I had hung up with the rep when the issue returned. He mentioned if his trick didn’t work he would need to send a reprovision request, and have to basically set up as new.
I think what he’s saying is correct, because in a previous instance last year, I lost signal and when it came up, I was getting sub-100 speeds and was told by a rep that my modem thought I was still on the Preferred 100 plan, not the new Preferred 150. The fix there was a reprovision.
If it’s the modem, I have a spare. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
tigernike23 said:I was maxing out at 91-93 mbps on wired
First, I assume when you say "maxing out" you mean connected directly to the SB6190? Second, how are you testing your speed? Cox test or Fast.com or something else?
tigernike23 said:. He mentioned if his trick didn’t work he would need to send a reprovision request
I think that is something Tier 2 can do. I don't know about the moderators. Sounds like your on the right track. Good luck.
“Maxing out” was a poor choice of words. I meant it seems to have acted like an invisible cap exists in keeping it below 100 mbps. Yes it’s directly connected, I get the same speeds with the router as well. I use four speed tests: Cox (which is Speedtest.net rebadged), Speedtest.net itself, fast.com, and dslreports speed test.
Thanks for the quick response. Wasn’t sure if the mods could do it or not. I will give support a buzz in the morning then.
tigernike23 said: I will give support a buzz in the morning then.
Make sure they check the "configuration code" on the modem. Part of it is the QoS codes that determine your speed from the modem. Re-provisioning erases that code and downloads a new one based on the service level on your account. Just a little info to help get you to Tier 2.
So, is there a proper way to get to a Tier 2 rep? I've not been as lucky as my first call to support. I've called 4 times and got very basic Tier 1 reps; suggesting I replace cabling (I use Cat7 cabling from modem to router, and Cat6 everywhere else), one suggested I call Arris, yes call the cable modem manufacturer (smh, like really?). I literally ended the call on her. That same one tried to tell my my computer was old, even though its a Dell Latitude with a manufacture date of January 2020. I've asked multiple Tier 1's why my speeds are below 100, and why Cox's app has me on "Preferred 100" when it doesn't exist. I'm getting very frustrated, and just want to call up and be like "I don't want to talk to you, forward me on to Tier 2 please".
I've attached a screen capture from my Cox app. Before the outage it used to say "My Internet: Internet Preferred 150, Tier: Preferred 150", now it has me in "Tier: Preferred 100"
Hello When the speed of our Preferred 100 program was upgraded from 100 Mbps down to 150 Mbps down, the name of the service was also updated to Preferred 150. The name is not displaying correctly on some accounts but the service itself is up to 150 down and 10 up even if the name is displayed incorrectly. We are escalated support and can assist as tier 2 please please reach out to us privately with your account info including full street address so we can look into the issue you are having with slow speeds. We can be reached by email at email@example.com.
Cox Forums Moderator
Hi Greg. Thank you for the reply. I wanted to let you know I sent off an email to the address you provided with the information you requested, a brief summary, and a link to this forum. Let me know if you need anything further.