Forum Discussion

Grimbaz
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Random disconnects, packet loss, fluctuating power levels

I've been having this issue for awhile now, but it started back up again about a month ago.

I'm getting slow speeds, packet loss, and random disconnects. When trying to contact Cox support, they reset my modem.
Then when the reset modem didn't work, they just told me to get a new modem. I told them I went through this multiple times with Cox and it's not the modem. I've tried new modems and I have the same problem. They then told me that my modems "wi-fi port setting" was the issue and closed the chat immediately after.

My modem is not a 2 in 1, it's not capable of wi-fi and there's no such thing as a "wi-fi port setting".

I'm guessing there's noise being injected into the line somehow. It's happened in my neighborhood before and it took them MONTHS to actually escalate my issue to a higher tier tech.

There's no wall plate. My modem has a reducer on it (not sure what strength, installed by tech). It goes straight to the dropline. The issue is intermittent.

Modem: Netgear CM1000 (DOCSIS 3.1)

Here are my modems levels:

Here are the error messages which started to appear last month:

Edit 7/9/2020

Cox Technician is coming out Saturday morning to check things out AGAIN and most likely escalate the ticket.
Here are my new modem levels and packet loss test when things are acting up.

World of Warcraft (US-WEST)

Edit 7/11/20

Tech came out and was able to capture noise on the node. It might be a back feed from one of the neighbors.

Ticket has been escalated and hopefully resolved soon.

Edit 7/14/20

All is fixed except for one node. See reply below.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello Grimbaz,

Ongoing packet loss is not fun. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Grimbaz
      New Contributor II

Mailbox is full every time I try to email.

BrianM
        Please try again if you haven't already, I just double-checked and our inbox is not at capacity.

Brian
        Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Grimbaz
    New Contributor II

Tech came out yesterday. He replaced all the fittings outside. The problem disappeared for about 24 hours.

Then came back with force today.

Grimbaz
    New Contributor II

They escalated the ticket and all appears to be fixed EXCEPT for one node, which seems to disconnect me between 3-5AM. It has anywhere between 5-11% packet loss when running a tracert for 500 packets. Pending on the time.

The 100.127.73 subnet is a common subnet when making my requests and is most definitely a cox node.

Please look into this

Allan
      @Grimbaz, We can certainly look into this packet loss for you. Please send us an email with your full name, address, and a brief description or link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
        Grimbaz
        New Contributor II

Emailed you Thursday morning with no response.