Forum Discussion

jcastaner1
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Daily outages in my area. UNACCEPTABLE

There are daily internet outages in my area (92026) this is unacceptable! I need to work remotely and with 0.5Mbps upload speeds, it is impossible. I pay for 300 down/ 30 up speeds and rarely reach those speeds AND NO it's not my modem and I refuse to reboot the darn thing again! So far I have not seen any credit applied to my account for the lack of service or any notice of when the issues are going to be resolved permanently. You guys are pushing me to get ATT more every day and I hate ATT but this is just wrong. Get it together COX!!!!.

30 Replies

• jcastaner1, it looks like our field team is in the process of tracking down some intermittent ingress/noise issues in your area at this time.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      jcastaner1
      New Contributor II

Hi BrianM, thanks for replying. FYI, this issue has been going on and off for a few weeks now and the real problem is with upload speeds. I hope the field team fixes this as I really need the internet to be able to work. 

X-Man1302
    New Contributor II

I have the same issue and working from home, I have daily conference/Video calls and if my upload is slow then they will not hear or see me well at all. I live in the same Zip as you (Country Club area).  I pay for the same service of 300 down and 30 up.  Been here since Oct 2019.  Been working from home since Mid-March when Covid shutdowns impacted us. Since then I have had no issues with the service up until Mon 6/15. I called Tech support and automated response immediately told me there is a Service Outage in the area.  I got a live agent and she told me the same thing but said they can text me if the outage has been resolved.  Got the text about 4 hours later and checked speeds again.  Upload still less than 1 mbps. Download speeds were normal.  I tried troubleshooting that day with 3 different COX techs online but they all only seemed to want to upsell me higher services because they said my modem (Arris SB8200) is working fine so it must be all the devices (10) i have on my router. 6 of those devices are just smart appliances the rest are 2 laptops and 2 smartphones!  There is just me and my wife in this house! Finally, the 3rd tech after giving me the sales pitch (turned it down again) said that I should at least try out the COX panoramic WiFi modem for $11/month just to see if anything changes.  They said there is no contract and I can return it for prorated credit at any time.  I said can't you just send a Technician out to check my lines?  The Online tech said not unless you have Cox equipment.  So the next day Tues , I went to the Cox store and got me their Technicolor modem.  Hooked it up waited for it to setup and plugged my laptop into it via Ethernet and ran a speedtest.  SAME ISSUE.  Upload speeds less than 1 mbps down.  Download was fine between 270 and 290 mbps. So no change.  I called a LIVE agent again and told her my saga.  She confirmed that they can send out a Tech the next day.  The tech came promptly at 10am and I proceeded to show him my issues (through an open window.)  He confirmed the slow upload (it was 0.07 mbps).  He even told me not to use the Cox Speedtest server that OOKLA usually presents first.  I picked another local server and ran the test.  Stlll less than 1 mbps.  He checked all my outside lines at the drop, my block amplifier since I am far from the Pedestal, and my connection at the pedestal.  He said my lines were fine but the issue is presenting at the pedestal so that means either the pedestal is bad or the neighborhood should be having the issue due to some other pedestal issue upstream.  I informed him that there was an outage on Monday and they said it was fixed.  He said they may have fixed that particular issue but something else may have broken in the process.  He said he will write another ticket but it will be for investigating a neighborhood issue.  He said it should be fixed in a couple of days.  This morning,Thurs 6/18, I noticed a Cox Truck (cherry picker type not the normal Ford Transit Vans the techs use for installations) driving around my neighborhood and it stopped at the pedestal I am connected to.  Not sure what he did since I don't have a clear view of my pedestal from my window.  After he left, I checked my speeds again.  Still slow upload.  Can the any Cox moderator on this site tell me the status of the Ticket that the Cox tech gave me yesterday?  The Ticket number is ESR000003266457.  Would like to know when this issue will be resolved. 

jcastaner1
      New Contributor II

I am very confident that the issue is in our neighborhood. I went trhoug the same process as you a few weeks ago. Changed the modem, no dice. Cox sent a tech to check the line from my house to the side walk and that was good. I have a single new quad shielded coax cable inside the house going directly to the modem so that's not the issue. I think they have a bigger issue in our area and they are not aware or don't want to fix it properly. 

X-Man1302
        New Contributor II

When the Cox Tech visited you and confirmed there was no issue with your equipment or connections did the tech tell you how it was going to be escalated?  Did they give you a ticket number that you can wave around to the COX people?  Hopfully the ticket I got (if its real as it's not confirmed yet by any COX Moderator in this thread) will fix our issues if we are on the same node.  I have been noticing more of the Cox bucket trucks (some Cox branded and others unbranded) coming into my neighborhood so I believe there is work going on near me.  I'm thinking it's related to my ticket.  We shall see.

Coxisgarbage
    New Contributor III

I have been having similar problems for months. File a complaint with the FCC, its the only way for cox to pay attention to your issues.

• X-Man1302, that ticket is showing as resolved but it looks like they noted that they are still chasing ingress/noise in the area as well.

Brian
      X-Man1302
      New Contributor II

Thanks BrianM for your update! 

Yes I can confirm (so far) that the speeds I'm now getting are where they should be at my subscription level.

However, you said:

"but it looks like they noted that they are still chasing ingress/noise in the area as well."

Does that mean that what they did in my neighborhood is a temporary fix? I can still have issues again in the near future?

BrianM
        Meaning this is still being looked into/worked on. It is possible you could see issues until they completely clear the noise issues in the area. (you are both on different nodes by the way and these are separate but similar issues)

Brian
    Riddles4
    New Contributor

I am having the same problem! We lose everything off and on all day!!!  This is so frustrating especially because I work from home and both of my kids are taking college courses online. 

RPV_90275_user
      New Contributor

Same here from RPV 90275... any other users experiencing the same in this area code?  I'm looking for alternate service providers since this is unacceptable.  replaced modem, installed a TP Link mesh system that worked fine for 2 days and then back to daily almost hourly disconnects... horrible when running a business and teen trying to do meetings with school.  J

RPV_90275_user
        New Contributor

because of this undependable service I had to go into the office when everyone else is still WFH ...

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Riddles4

There's was some maintenance going on in the area today that's been completed. Please let us know if you're still having issues.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
        jcastaner1
        New Contributor II

I'm still having very slow upload speeds. I talked to internet support and they are sending a tech to my house, that's the drill, I know, but I'm pretty sure the issue is elsewhere.

Can you check again the 92026 area? Thanks. 

jcastaner1
    New Contributor II

And it's gone again!!!! It was good for about two hours now is back to 0.05Mbps uploads. I think I'll be switching to ATT soon this is not good.

elliwigy
    New Contributor III

Theres no such thing as a "permanent" fix... Nothing is perfect after all.

FairfaxCoxUser
    New Contributor II

22030 and it seems to be related to the weather.  Bad weather...or even LOOKING like bad weather and it out goes.  on/off/on/off...  Threatening skies for the last couple hours and on/off/on/off