Forum Discussion

jubells
New Contributor
4 years ago

Only certain devices connecting to WiFi

Just moved and got Cox. Did self install. Phones and tablets can connect to the internet. Computer, printers, and gaming consoles can only connect with hardwired Ethernet cable, not WiFi. Those devices don’t even recognize the network, and it doesn’t even work when we put the network name in manually. Tried to text with tech support and was given suggestions as: change the password and reset the modem. We had done all that multiple times. I’m just not getting any information as to why certain devices connect but not others. If nothing connected it would make sense or if one device didn’t connect, but it seems totally random.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bearone2
    Contributor III

do phones/tablet connect thru cell network?

cox equipment or yours? not all my devices will work with my panoramic combo modem/router.

2 older dell, small form factor pc's + 2 10 year old laptops.

they all see the cox unit but can't connect with wi-fi & need to be hardwired.

it depends how old your devices are, i still have an old i-phone 5s + galaxy s5 that connect  to cox wi-fi.

jubells
      New Contributor

The phones and tablets are not connecting through cell network because only one of 6 of those devices are activated through a service, and the others are not using the hot spot of the activated phone, nor do we have all of the devices connected at the same time. We are using the panoramic modem/router from Cox. Our desktop was built from scratch, laptop is older. Also, trying to connect Xbox 360, PS4, and Epson printer, all of which were connected at my last house in rural upstate NY using Spectrum. What is strange is that our network is not even showing up. I can see all of the neighbors, but not ours. Even when we enter it in manually, it won’t connect.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Ethernet port and wireless are two different NICs.  Ensure the wireless cards are enabled.  Also, do the wireless device detect any other networks?

jubells
      New Contributor

Yes, they are enabled. All of these devices were connected at our last house with no changes to the equipment since. I am able to connect my activated Samsung S9, son’s inactive iPhone 7S plus, daughter’s inactive iPhone 6S, and 3 inactive iPads (not all at the same time, just when needed). When I contacted tech support, they couldn’t give me any suggestion as to why certain devices can connect and others can’t even recognize our network. When we scan for networks, a long list of our neighbor’s networks appear. Just not ours. We have renamed our network to make it easily recognizable to us, changed the password twice, tried to enter it in manually, and still nothing.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Are you broadcasting your network (SSID)?

For those device connecting, what type of IP address are they assigned:  v4 or v6?

Delete the previous default Spectrum wireless network within the properties of the NIC?

Updated wireless drivers?