Forum Discussion

RDA
New Contributor
4 years ago

Gigablast barely reaching 250mb

Had gigablast installed last Saturday and so far the fastest speeds I can reach is around 250 down. Yes I have bypassed my router and connected straight to the modem with my laptop. Yes my laptop has a capable gig nic card. I’ve also tried another laptop same thing. 3 technicians have shown up to my house and have done speed tests with their handheld devices and tell me they get 940 down. They have changed out the modem and even ran another line to test. Same results. They tell me the speed is fine I show them my laptop speed results hardwired into the modem and they tell me it’s my laptop. Oh yeah forgot to mention this is fiber...... another thing worth mentioning is at my last residence we were getting 300 down over coaxial which is fine because that’s what we were paying for. I was also told by the Cox technicians that this was a “back office issue” what exactly does that mean? I was also told by a Cox tech that “him and his buddy are two of the best techs Cox has in this area” ok great fix my internet speeds. So I’m pretty so after the techs left today they ultimately ended up blaming the speed issue on my laptop and left so I guess that’s that I pay 100$ A month for gig speeds that I don’t even get close to reaching. I’m also a Pc technician with 14 years experience so I know a thing or two about networking and computer hardware. I’m about to cancel Cox and switch to Att and I’ve been a loyal customer with Cox for almost 20 years off and on. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue or have any experience with Att? Their gig internet is half of what Cox is charging. Help me out Cox your gigablast is false advertising!!

5 Replies

CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello RDA, I know it is frustrating when you are not getting the service that you are paying for. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. So that we can investigate the signal you are receiving. -Crystal S., Cox Support Forum Moderator
    jayinoc
    New Contributor

I had the same problem with around 280Mbps. After a few days of troubleshooting I just downgraded my service. I think Gigablast is hype not a true gigabit service. 

Jack_H
      Contributor

Most nodes at this time are oversaturated because of the coronavirus pandemic. This will cause bandwidth problems because a lot more people in your neighborhood will be accessing the internet. I have been dealing with these problems since September 2019 and have replaced my modem with 4 different ones and no change.Had 5 techs out and all cabling replaced from modem to tap. Filled an FCC complaint and they admitted there was node issues and no plan on fixing this year. Although I don't care about speed I care about stable internet without latency spikes which also happens with oversaturated nodes.

DanniAck
        New Contributor

Same... just got told again I need a tech out but now they are trying to get me to pay for the protection service to avoid a $75 charge in case it is found not to be a COX issue.  What a crock!

hero
    New Contributor II

I agree on this - I’m paying for gig & dont get above 10mbs.....ever! Another thing which i find interesting - and i am not sure why - if i run 3-5 different speed test tools Cox’s test always shows up with higher download & upload speeds. I try select the same server the whole time or location at minimum. How does this happen?