Forum Discussion

sharpshot124
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Frequent and intermittent packet loss

for the last ~48 hours I have been experiencing packet loss that disconnects me from games and causes odd behavior with voip. I've run some tests to try to identify where my problem is and I believe it is outside of my control. A friend suggested that the packet loss is occurring at the pipeline to which Cox connects to the greater internet. This is further corroborated by a video I watched which suggested this format of address would suggest a large physical relay box. Can someone provide feedback on the images below for any fixes or potential eta of service being completed to remedy the situation? the screen sjots are from PingPlotter and represent the same test at different times.

3 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @ sharpshot124

Are you having this issue on all sites are just when gaming? Also please unplug the power cord to the modem and reset all coax ends. Let us know when doing so if there's a splitter?

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator

sharpshot124
      New Contributor II

I imagine all services are somehow affected, but the nature of the problem is that you would only notice it in real time usage. So websites load fine 99% of the time, but as I mentioned above, voip is also affected, so it is not just games. The voip behavior is quite odd, as it seem to be mainly the upstream that is affected. So, I can often hear the other party, but I am unheard/heavily digitized/sporadically muting.

I have re-seated all cables and restarted all devices. There are no splitters or any extra devices between the modem and PCs. Problem is present on 2 PCs, both wired. 

I tried using the Cox chat support twice and both sent a reset signal for the modem.

I honestly believe I have already diagnosed the problem effectively in my pictures above. Which is that there is a relay box tying Cox to a Level3 pipeline with the address 4.28.82.5 (see the highlighted bar in pic 3), that is consistently losing packets. So what I am looking for is to either

1. Be confirmed since this problem shouldn't only affect me if I am correct.
      2. Be corrected if I have misinterpreted the data shown
      3. Assuming 1. fails, beg for a tech to come fix this mess since my other attempts to contact support failed (details below)

P.S.

Since I see you are a moderator, and I am making an assumption that you are employed by Cox, I have one tangentially related point at the risk of being an entitled pos on the internet. I'd like to, admittedly spitefully, note that both of agents disconnected from me without notice or trying anything other than the reset signal, with the exception of one of them trying to upsell me very persistently. I was expecting to schedule a tech to come out since this is not a simple problem, but the only time it came up was to mention that it may cost money and it would be such a great deal to get the cox complete care service. It was during my trying to get the tech scheduled that the first agent disconnected, the second didn't even get that far. Not looking for compensation or anything ridiculous of the sort, I just hope one day the technical support teams will change their ways.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @sharpshot124

I apologize for the experience and would love the opportunity to investigate your concern. I completely understand your frustration as sometimes there are situations that are not handled in the best possible way. Please email my team at cox.help@cox.com; be sure to include your full address, full name, and a link to this thread. We will help in every way that we can!

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator