Forum Discussion

kernal99
New Contributor
4 years ago

Download Speed ?????

It seems my speed isn't what it should be. With 150mbps Cox service, I was only getting 30mbps at my pc on wireless. With a hard conn from the modem I got 50mps.

I took my modem and laptop to the cox coax coming into the house and connected directly to that. Multiple speed tests gave 50mbps.

I took my laptop (without modem) to my neighbors (who is on a different street connection) and read 150mbps.

I got Cox out and the tech redid some connections. Now at the Cox coax my laptop reads 80mbps several times, a slight increase. We took the ethernet cable out of my laptop and plugged it into the tech's meter. It read 150mbps several times.

Is there any explanation for this difference?????? If anyone can think of anything, I'd really appreciate it. I feel I'm not getting what I'm paying for from Cox.

It shouldn't be the modem since the same modem was used for my laptop and the tech meter but I'm going to try a new one anyway.

6 Replies

kthompson7
    New Contributor

I have Gigablast and I'm getting half the download speed I used to get.  I'm sure it's because more people are home and cable is a shared connection, but I don't think I should be paying for bandwidth I'm not getting.

LisaH
      Hi Kthompson7. If you feel that you aren't getting the speed you should be, we can certainly check into this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello Kernal99,

Just a couple of suggestions. When you hardwire, try connecting the ethernet from the laptop directly to modem. Then try to hardwire the laptop to the router. Check for splitters and amplifiers. Run your speed test on Cox.com after logging to the account. This way the technical support agents can see the results as well. Keep all copies of the speed test and how the laptop connected during the speed test. Then reach out to us on Twitter using @CoxHelp, or visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com with the speed test, complete address, your full name, and primary account holder's name if different from your own.

Crystal
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
    bearone2
    Contributor III

your neighbor might have been paying for faster connection.

Bardoon
    New Contributor II

If your neighbor has a faster speed package, he will get slightly higher speeds.  If you're doing a test there...the best test is to take your own modem and actual coax cables and ethernet cables to test it there...however, that's annoying cause you may have to call Cox and provision a new MAC and serial number for your modem on your neighbor's account.

I have Gigablast and have been barely getting a third of the speeds.  I've had the same issues at the Cox box (demarcation point) where my speeds are bad...even after a Cox tech re-wired some stuff.  I hooked up my own new coax to the Cox box and got the same bad speeds.

Cox's tech meters don't seem to go through the same "traffic pattern" as customers do.  It's similar to speedtests on NETGEARs Apps which will almost always show faster speeds than you're getting.  Their meters also seem to have a dedicated "server" to them back at a Cox main office in the area.  Additionally- I've learned that the Speedtests appear to be measuring how "fast" you can touch the internet, but not the responsiveness of actually accessing and using the internet.

bearone2
      Contributor III

i judge by how fast web pages open & don't get to concerned about test speeds.

fwiw: i use several test sites & cox test is generally the slowest.