Forum Discussion

Milky
New Contributor
4 years ago

Upgraded to GIGABLAST. Disconnection, slow speeds, packet loss problems.

Hello,

I upgraded to GIGABLAST and the Panoramic Modem/Router wasn't pulling speeds above 200-250mbps. Oftentimes it was within 20-45mbps range both wireless and wired with a CAT 6 cable. I was told to try getting my own modem/router and purchased a Cox certified cable modem a Netgear C7800 Nighthawk modem/router.

The C7800 came with Firmware version V3.01.40 already installed. Cox recommends using version 01.38, but there is no way to access old or new firmware on the Netgear site as it says "Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP." I had a tech support agent try to force a firmware downgrade, but it failed. The next day I was told by Cox & Netgear that is was the other's issue until I go them on the phone together and the Cox agent said he would resolve it. He told me having 01.40 wouldn't be an issue.

-Will this be an issue going forward having 01.40 vs 01.38? Slow speed, packet loss, losing connection, etc.
-How will I receive updates in the future?

I also had a 2nd tech come to the house and inform me that there was low level loss coming from the Node which is overloaded and it would be addressed in 24-48 hours. Is the NODE the issue? I.E. packet loss, slow speeds, losing connection etc. Or is the firmware the issue or both?

Thanks in advance!

9 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I was always suspicious Cox never advertised it as technically gigabit.  Give us more money for one billion blasts!

Frustrated702
    New Contributor II

I have an overloaded node in my area as well. I have been struggling with cox for 6 months with no end in sight. I too upgraded to gigablast hoping that it would help. I think my situation with ping and packet loss got worse. Cox has sent three techs out, they all had different reasons for the issue; solar flares, coronavirus traffic and overloaded node. I went to a friends house (he has cox 150) with my laptop and gaming was perfect. I wish they could get everyone's issues fixed. I cant even game anymore, the lag makes me sick to my stomach.

v3rtiic4l
        New Contributor II

Same issue as you guys, Gaming is almost impossible . upgraded to gigablast and my speeds went down in upload to under 1mb and upload went to 400.

Coxisgarbage
      New Contributor III

I have the same issue. File a complaint with the FCC, its the only way to get cox to pay attention to your issue.

Bardoon
    New Contributor II

I've had the same issues...barely touching 300 Mbps down on Gigablast after two tech visits and I have brand new NETGEAR modem/router, new coax cables, and new CAT7/8 ethernet cables.  Did a speedtest right in front of a tech with a plug from his meter to my laptop and back again and both showed dramatically different speeds (their meters aren't like normal "customer" devices).

We also did a Panoamic COX modem swap and the speeds on there were poor.

I think the NODEs/Cox infrastructure is overwhelmed...they just don't want to tell you that.

mollyfowler
      New Contributor II

Did you get any satisfaction? I'm on my 4th site visit, and I finally set aside the Panorama at the suggestion of a smart woman from Cox and bought the NETGEAR C7800. Best Buy sent 2 and tonight when my second tech said its the hardware, I bet him $400 it wasn't. It wasn't. I am soooooo frustrated.

v3rtiic4l
        New Contributor II

Im on my 3rd visit at this house and 2 at my previous. Its not your hardware. 

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello Bardoon,

This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal
      Cox Support Forum Moderator