New Contributor
4 years ago

Outlook keeps prompting to "Enter Network Password"

Outlook keeps prompting to "Enter Network Password"

24 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    duhmel123
    New Contributor III

I have had the same problem for the past month.  I do not use outlook.  My email client is Thunderbird and I get the same 'enter password' message usually around noon for a few hours.  Then it goes away without doing anything different.  Problems must be with Cox as many people seem to have the same problem.

bearone2
    Contributor III

if you have more than 1 device accessing the email, password needs to be changed on all devices.

wbaldwin5
      New Contributor

If you are using Windows you can take a look at Credential Manager Control Panel then clean out all outlook and live credentials to force it to get and save new credentials for you.  That might help.

• Close “Microsoft Outlook” >> Click on “Start” button >> type "Credential” in the search box >>you will then see ‘Credential Manager’ >> Click on “Credential Manager”.
      • Under “Generic Credentials”, you will most likely see an entry that has Outlook in the name.
      • Delete it. In fact, you can delete all the entries in Generic Credentials if you like.
      • Close Credential Manager Window and start “Microsoft Outlook”.
      • If it asks for a password, enter the password and check for it to remember the password.
      • A new entry will be created in the credential vault with your latest login and password.
      • Problem solved.
        bearone2
        Contributor III

win10, outlook2016...no generic credentials tab, only windows + web.

good tip, had never used it.

btw, entering the new pw can only be done in account settings, not when you login to outlook!

i'm a long time outlook user...still have outlook 2002 on an old xppro/sp3 machine.

• This has been happening to me intermittently.  And it is REALLY ANNOYING.  I changed my password over a month ago, so I don’t know why it still happens.  But when it does, it is as if all of the Outlook spam filter rules I have set up stop working for the LOVELY DAILY SPAM THAT COX REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING TO FILTER OUT OF OUR INBOXES.  It’s as if it’s backdoor sabotage to get around the filters we set up in Outlook to filter out the junk by kicking us off of Cox’s server and letting it get into our inboxes that way.  

JP_Sports
      Contributor

Mark it down:  at 7:00 ET Wed 5/20 I was ONCE AGAIN prompted by Outlook to enter my username and password for imap.cox.net.  WHY AGAIN?!?  AND ONCE AGAIN FOR THE NEXT WEEK, OUTLOOK SOAM FILTERS WILL BE USELESS IN BLOCKING THE 6-10 WONDERFUL SPAM EMAILS THAT I GET EVERY MORNING THANKS TO COX DOING NOTHING TO BLOCK SPAM.  NOW I’M BEING KICKED OFF THE IMAP SERVER DO I CAN’T USE OUTLOOK FILTERS TO BLOCK THEM. IT’S ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS!!’

LisaH
        Hi JP Sports. It is possible that your password in Outlook may be corrupted. You may want to verify that the incoming user-id doesn't have @cox.net in the name and remove the password and save it. You will get an error but it will log this change. Then input your password and save it. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator