Forum Discussion

KeeganJ
New Contributor
4 years ago

Firmware update for user owned SB6141?

I have my own SB 6141 modem I'm using on my COX service. I'm getting slow speeds which I'm suspecting old firmware on the modem since I've had the unit awhile. Contacted COX and they say they can't update firmware and that I need to do the update myself. My understanding is that the service provider always controls the firmware releases on hardware so that they don't have issues. How can I go about upgrading to the right firmware? Sounds like even if i bought a newer model modem it still wouldn't work if they aren't willing to release the current firmware updates.

3 Replies

• Hi KeeganJ. We do control the firmware releases once we get this from the manufacturer. What speeds are you getting? Are you hardwired or wirelessly connected? if you need assistance, we would definitely be able to assist you. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.- Lisa Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      KeeganJ
      New Contributor

Hello LisaH, Thank you for getting back to me! I've tested both wirelessly and hardwired and didn't see a difference in performance. I'm getting an download speed ranging from 7-30 mbps on the preferred 150 service. The 500 and 1 gig options are available in my area so I shouldn't be limited by the infrastructure. I appreciate the help and will be contacting you through one of the recommended communication forms. Thanks, KeeganJ

bearone2
    Contributor III

why even ask, cox has no control of your chosen modem firmware updates.