Forum Discussion

DTru93
New Contributor
5 years ago

High Latency, Packet Loss, and Slow Speeds

I upgraded to gigabit internet back in June 2019 and have an Arris SB8200 Modem and ASUS AC3100 Router. I used to get 940mbps down and 35mbps up. However, in January 2020 I started experiencing very bad packet loss and latency spikes while gaming. The tech came out and found no issues inside or outside of the house.. however within 1 week of his visit my problems magically went away. Now in March 2020 I am experiencing the same issues again and have changed nothing at my house. My ping will spike from 39ms to >100ms at complete random and I get constant packet loss icons while gaming (5-10%). This has been going on for 2 weeks and my speeds have dropped all the way down to 500mbps down and <10mbps up. Even when I ping or run a tracert to google I am getting pings of 200-300ms and connection time outs. The tech came again this week and replaced the Moca filter outside but the problem still remains. I've tried 2 new routers and 2 new modems, a new coax cable, and multiple known-good ethernet cables to no avail. I am hardwired on a desktop to the router and have even blocked ALL other devices from connecting and the problem remains. I see countless posts on this forum with the same issues and no resolutions. Cox needs to fix this -- I have been a paying customer for 15+ years and they continue to provide terrible service. Most of the level-1 techs have no clue what I'm even talking about when I call in. I'm considering  switching to CenturyLink in April unless Cox can provide answers and a resolution soon. Suggestions??

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, I am not seeing any outages or known issues reported in your area at this time. Your signal levels look great and I'm also not seeing any packet loss either. Can you please email us hard-wired traceroutes and/or PingPlotter results to cox.help@cox.com, so we can have them reviewed? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator