Forum Discussion

NHuse
New Contributor
5 years ago

High latency, terrible speeds.

I just finished a support chat with a tier 2 tech who ended the chat while I was changing out my Ethernet cords. I've unplugged my router, reset it, changed cords, connected the Ethernet straight to the cable modem from my PC.

Getting really tired of this basic troubleshooting roundabout they put me through every time. Support chat seems hesitant to acknowledge the fact their infrastructure might be overloaded. The only option is to bring a tech out, however I don't feel comfortable doing this at the moment because of the current health crisis. Maybe in a few weeks.

Every evening between 6-10PM the internet out here in east county San Diego slows to a crawl, as everyone is attempting to connect at once. It's hard to troubleshoot this, since I end up looking stupid saying, "Well i'm getting 100 mbps now, but it gets really bad later in the day I swear!" 

They are quicker to find little reasons that it might be a fault with my setup, including "You have 8 devices connected, your plan only supports up to 7" even though all of these devices are sitting idle and not using any bandwidth during the issues I experience.

Don't really know what the answer here is. I know I'm just tired of changing cords and having my router reset. File an FCC complaint I guess. Hope for a better future for internet providers out here in SD. FCC Complaint form: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us?return_to=%2Fhc%2Frequests

Related question: How do I cut to the BS and skip the basic troubleshooting steps I'm always run through with the tier 1 techs? I'm decently tech literate, I'm no old granny using an iphone for the first time.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      NHuse
      New Contributor

Awesome. I'll get PingPlotter going now.

I just had a service outage notification pop up shortly after making this post. Maybe 10 mins ago they said they resolved it. Just did a speed test after resetting all devices: https://i.imgur.com/aIBkIsz.png Should be getting "Up To" 150.0 mbps on Preferred plan

I'll post some pingplots soon

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi NHuse, we apologize for the negative interactions you've had in the past with our chat agents. The reason I ask customers to bypass wireless routers is that this helps us determine if the issue may be related to traffic congestion on the in-home WiFi network, poor/inadequate WiFi coverage, or signal issues. The current network in place has enough capacity to handle a sudden shift in usage trends. I am detecting signal issues on your modem at this time, as well as a high number of power adjustments.

Out of an abundance of caution and for everyone’s safety, we are exercising social distancing. We can send a technician out to assist, however, we will not conduct any work inside your home. Please make sure there are no loose or damaged connections inside the home. For additional support, please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator