Forum Discussion

mkapos
New Contributor II
5 years ago

COX admits they are having slowness issues

After more than 3 hours on two separate chats due to my gigablast speed dropping from 800Mbps+ during the day down to 150Mbps every evening and having my daughters zoom meetings drop several time as she's trying to take her college courses form home, the second representative i talked to finally stated that they are having issues across the board with speeds. This is after I performed all the troubleshooting tasks and them initially telling me that the problem was with my gear and they wouldn't send out anybody to look at it. 

Excerpt directly from the second chat:

Message from Agent.
Please be advised, that there is also a known issue for slow speeds that is impacting all customers across all markets. 

I will also make bold notes of this for you on the account to initiate a call back.  

Message from Agent.

We are actively working to have that slow speed issue resolved though. 

Message from Agent.

We know customers are severely impacted. 

This is from the first chat:

I and my supervisor are not convinced of exactly what the issue is. We can not send a technician because the signal levels all look so good and the issue seems to be on your end. But to be safe we would like to get you a new modem just to rule that out as the problem. Are you able to go by a Cox Solutions store tomorrow and swao modems?

As you can see, instead of admitting that the issue even existed, the technician was instructed by his/her manager to tell me, the customer, that it was my fault. Not until I mentioned that I would have

My question to everyone out there on Cox and to Cox itself is two fold:

1. Is anyone else experiencing this on their connections, specifically in the evening time.
  2. Why doesn't Cox post on their support website that due to the Coronvirus and the impact it is having in regards to everyone being home and online, they are experiencing congestion on their network which could impact customers speeds.

Is it not worse to have it found out that you are hiding information from your customers and flat out blaming them for the issues instead of being honest to your customer base?

Very disappointing as personally I'd rather stay with a company that is having issue but being honest with it rather than a dishonest one. Just makes you wonder what else they are lying to everyone about.

Thanks for listening.

4 Replies

p_pham
    New Contributor III

just report it to the FCC.  these guys at the top (managers/supervisors) are vultures.  they need a push from outside force to make them spit out the truth and compensate for our hard earn money.  we pay a hefty price for a service and when that service cannot be delivered then we, as customers, should be compensated.  Those who do not complain or seek out the problem with them are just getting their money eaten up by these vultures.  I am getting 10 Mbps most of the time when I pay for 150Mbps.  Can't even work from home or do anything else when it fluctuates like that.

FCC link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us?return_to=%2Fhc%2Frequests

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Mkapos, I'm really truly sorry to learn that you had this interaction with our chat agent. Our network is built to handle peak use in the evenings and throughout the day. We’ve been working on a multi-year transformation of our infrastructure across the country, which includes deploying DOCSIS 3.1, taking fiber deep, and adding more upstream capacity to our network. In addition, the current network in place has enough capacity to handle the sudden shift in usage trends.

Do you have a wireless router attached to the modem? I'm not seeing any signal issues with your modem or any packet loss at this time. For further assistance, can you please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com? Here's some additional troubleshooting information:

www.cox.com/.../understanding-speed-test-results.html
    www.cox.com/.../fixing-slow-wifi.html
    www.cox.com/.../extend-wifi-range.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

mkapos
      New Contributor II

Kevin, appreciate you reaching out and I'm already working with one of your representatives who reached out to me after putting in my FCC complaint.