Forum Discussion

kurtech
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Will changing from 150 down to 1 gigabit down fix my packet loss/latency issues?

I'm pretty frustrated right now with intermittent latency issues and packet loss. I can't use voip to make my meeting calls or play online video games without lag. I've replaced basically all of my hardware, and there is still an issue. I've also had a tech come out. 

Will increasing my speed give me more bandwidth to fix these issues?

https://imgur.com/a/Kg00TK1

7 Replies

bryce_clifford3
    New Contributor III

I had a tech come by, i spoke with online support, phone support, cox customer care, and now email and nobody is giving me answers either. I think the cox field equipment is becoming outdated and all we want are updates on when these performance issues will be improved.

Don't upgrade your account to pay more... this will still happen to you.

• An upgrade won't fix the issues. I seem to have to "replace" my modem every 6-8 months, and every time they recommend that I either rent, or sign up for the special deal and pay more for more bandwidth that is rarely up.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Bustingrocks, I saw your other comment in a different thread, and you mentioned that you're also experiencing latency issues. For further assistance, can you please email us hard-wired traceroutes and/or PingPlotter results to the gaming servers that you're having difficulties with? I'd like to have them reviewed. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    p_pham
    New Contributor III

just report it to the FCC.  these guys at the top (managers/supervisors) are vultures.  they need a push from outside force to make them spit out the truth and compensate for our hard earn money.  we pay a hefty price for a service and when that service cannot be delivered then we, as customers, should be compensated.  Those who do not complain or seek out the problem with them are just getting their money eaten up by these vultures.  I am getting 10 Mbps most of the time when I pay for 150Mbps.  Can't even work from home or do anything else when it fluctuates like that.

FCC link:  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us?return_to=%2Fhc%2Frequests

bearone2
    Contributor III

not necessarily, there's only so much bandwidth & now, everyone's using it.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @Kurtech, it all depends. Data is a lot like water flowing into the home. The wider the pipe, the easier it flows. If you are streaming, then increasing your uploads speeds from 10 Mbps to 35 Mbps would create less latency. Your modem levels appear to be quite healthy and I'm not seeing any packet loss currently. Are you directly hard-wired to the modem or are you using a wireless router? Here is some additional information that might help:

www.cox.com/.../understanding-speed-test-results.html

For additional support, please don't hesitate to email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator