Forum Discussion

Div1nium
New Contributor II
5 years ago

High latency during online gaming.

Hello,

As the title says, I have been suffering from severe lag and latency spikes almost constantly when playing online games with Blizzard servers. The time of day doesn't seem to affect it and doing generic router restarts doesn't make a difference. This has been going on for several weeks now and it is becoming unbearable. 

Any advice on how to fix would be appreciated. 

23 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
        jonathonjoseph
        Contributor

Run some trace routes using PingPlotter which you can google to download for free. Its likely over saturated network use in your area which can only be fixed by them upgrading your node or putting in a split node.  

vyaletta
      New Contributor

Arizona, having same issue, huge random lag spikes during counter-strike... really frustrating when you are playing for a prize.

Div1nium
        New Contributor II

I'm running diagnostics and finding lots of packet loss. 

Nooch
    New Contributor

I am experiencing the same thing for the past 3-4 weeks. Cox higher-ups I spoke to after 15/16 calls have told me its a giant node issue among many different areas. I'm in Southern California as well and they have no ETA on a fix... Unbearable for playing games

Nooch
        New Contributor

That's almost identical to what I get on my end.... This is terrible! Please call 1-866-645-9421 and express to them your frustration and need for a fix! I call almost every day and am doing what I can to get results, Cox needs to fix this... Been a customer for 17 years now

AaronP
    New Contributor

I keep getting kicked from overwatch games because of random and unpredictable spikes, I purchased high quality internet for this reason and will need to switch if this is what I get

vyaletta
      New Contributor

That's exactly my problem... I feel like COX has no incentive to do anything about this, a lot of people only have one option for their ISP. I would switch if I could.

jonathonjoseph
        Contributor

Exactly why no one is in a rush to fix anything lol. Where else you gonna go?