Forum Discussion

Alex619
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cox Panoramic Modem March 2020

If you don't want to read this paragraph at the bottom about me complaining about Cox, then just read this:

" The Cox Panoramic wifi modem/router that you rent for 11$ a month does not work the way it is advertised, and you are much better off going with a separate modem and router that is meant for providing high speed internet service".  This type of internet works for laptops, Netflix, and basic streaming services.  But when it comes to playing online video games, forget it.  Even if you use the ethernet, you only will get between 200-300Mbps download, and 2.9Mbps upload speed.  These speeds still lag when you play online video games".  

I decided to upgrade my service to cox Gigablast as of 20March2020.  With the world under quarantine, especially the entire state of California, I said okay I definitely cannot deal with the Lag on PS4 that I have been dealing anymore.  So I went to the local cox store after setting up my new service online and picked up my device.  The customer service representative said it wasn't necessary that I rent the device, as I could buy a separate modem and router from Best Buy or where-ever, but it would cost about $400 with a separate modem and router.  I decided to try out the cox panoramic modem+router combo that they offer for 11$ a month.  I go home, plug it in and it was a super easy set up using the app for it.  I connect it to my PS4 and test the connection.  This piece of garbage (which is supposed to put out up to 900+ mbps basically almost 1 Gbps) only put out 24.9 Mbps download and 2.4 Mbps upload.  This is down right criminal at these speeds.  But before I called my lawyer, I decided to call tech support, so that someone could come out and see if the signal needs to be adjusted at my apartments.  They are supposed to come out tomorrow (March 23, 2020) and hopefully fix it.  Just the fact that I have to go the extra mile, and MAYBE get the issue fixed is absolutely ridiculous. My apartments are literally ONLY able to get Cox service.  Isn't this considered a MONOPOLY at this point, since there is no other competition available?  I have always had so many issues with cox, and its sad that they can't provide the working class of the America a fast internet service, especially what we are paying them for.  I will hopefully remember to make another post tomorrow after PAYING a tech support member a FEE in order to get my SERVICE that I just PAID for to WORK like it is ALREADY SUPPOSED TO.  If it doesn't, well maybe I need to start putting this money that I am paying for this BS service towards law school, so that I can sue them into bankruptcy.  Either that or call my friend at the local new station and put this company in the spotlight. Oh and if you don't believe me, then why would they sell cox Panoramic Pods separately? I have my PS4 sitting right next to the wifi box and it doesn't do any better than 24.9mbps.  if you plug it in via ethernet, the best that I got was just below 300mbps.  This is a speed that still lags during a online video game like Call of Duty.  

If you don't want to read this paragraph above about me complaining about Cox, then just read this:

" The Cox Panoramic wifi modem/router that you rent for 11$ a month does not work the way it is advertised, and you are much better off going with a separate modem and router that is meant for providing high speed internet service".  This type of internet works for laptops, Netflix, and basic streaming services.  But when it comes to playing online video games, forget it.  Even if you use the ethernet, you only will get between 200-300Mbps download, and 2.9Mbps upload speed.  These speeds still lag when you play online video games".  

4 Replies

bearone2
    Contributor III

living in an apartment, sharing the bandwidth, i'll be surprised if adding your own modem/router will see much improvement.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You thought upgrading your service would remove the lag?  If Cox couldn't deliver your previous plan, what made you think they'd deliver another plan?  You should have went the "extra mile" before shelling out more money.

• Alex619

That sounds terrible! Please send an email to cox.help@cox.com and include your full name and address so I can take a look and see what's happening. These gateways have been performing very well. It sounds like there may be some issues regarding the cable signal going to the modem. In your email please reference this Forums post.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator