Forum Discussion

Xearu
New Contributor II
5 years ago

High Jitter causing instability in voice programs along with games.

Going to jump right in. Intermittent issue, multiple techs called out, no results found. Hard to determine whether time of day of high load are causing the issue although I do notice it more frequently at night. Tracert revealed a high ping at the first hop over multiple attempts, used Pingplotter to verify with greater accuracy.

Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=254

Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=254

Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=254

First part was a quick section I picked up. Jitter in quick burst. pingplotter updates at more rapid intervals, this showed at ~100ms on there.

Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=254

Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=254

Reply from 10.132.32.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=254

Second section, sliced from the same recording, within seconds of the first part. Middle section wiggles, spiked at ~125ms according to pingplotter.

Pingplotter can visually graph all of this over time. This section was recorded tonight.

https://imgur.com/S2RU756

Ive tried to explain multiple times that I need a point of contact in my area to email full graphs to so the issue can be resolved. Tried explaining all of this to a level 2 tech support person and I lost them pretty quickly when I began explaining the difference between types of packets and why my neighbors might not notice an issue too often.

EDIT: Found the other image I thought I had forgotten to save. Also taken yesterday, before these^^

https://imgur.com/LOBWp54

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bdn_h
    New Contributor

I am also experiencing high jitter with packet loss. Experiencing this at different times of the day (I suspect high traffic volume times). Affecting business VoIP and video conferencing, as well as games. DL speed is varying wildly, well below 300 mbps, while upload seems fairly unaffected at 30mbps.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi bdn_h, I am not seeing any signal issues or packet loss on your modem at this time. Can you please email us hard-wired traceroutes and/or PingPlotter results at cox.help@cox.com? If you do so, we ask that you are hard-wired directly to the modem when providing the results. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Smokeytheflea
    New Contributor III

Exact same problem here in Gilbert and been going on for about a month. Other than you having a slightly better 'normal' ping, my ping plotter looks exactly the same. Ping used to be high 20s and Jitter maybe 5ms. Now I have 40ms ping and 30-50ms Jitter. I have been on the phone with 4 different techs and 1 tech came out. I have been told that ' there is no issue ' but it's BS. I have replaced ALL the hardware on my side. They refuse to run a new line in my home to my modem and now I finally understand why. It's because this issue is happening all over and they either don't want to pay for the fix or don't know what's wrong. I actually had a tech tell me ' a little packet loss is normal'. What?! Since when? And honestly their phone techs can't do much at all. I never thought I'd say this but we might be better of with Century Link. At least I know what I'm getting for $50 a month... Any progress in resolving this Xearu?

Xearu
      New Contributor II

The tech that just left was the most polite and well versed in all the info I was able to give him, even taking the time to go through my account history to get a full overview of the issue. I was speaking with him outside, properly distanced, as he pulled the line data from the tap. The issue happened to occur right as he begin the test. This is the first time a tech has actually seen the problem first hand, had a ton of jitter peaking at over 350ms, as well as 2% packet loss. Also checked ingress on my end and everything looked great. Hopefully this is the first proper step of many to getting my issues resolved.

Smokeytheflea
        New Contributor III

Well good luck, I know how frustrating it is. Please post if you get a fix so I can reference, of you don't mind! 👍

jonathonjoseph
      Contributor

Smokey if that is literally your complaint your line is fine. People on this forum are in far worse shape. I cant even work from home anymore, the packet loss is at 50%. Consider your self lucky that Cox has even provided you that scrap of decent quality because most here have not seen that. 

• Hi Xearu. Thanks for that information. To get assistance, please send the ping plotter to the site that you are having the issue with to cox.help@cox.com and include your complete address and name on the account. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Xearu
      New Contributor II

Did this, eventually led to a tech being sent out and find nothing out of the ordinary. The issue is intermittent and the tech doesn't stick around for too long, internet was disconnected for around 15 minutes each check so I assume around 10 minutes of that was hooked-up to his diagnostic tool. Tech would need to sit out here, monitor, and chart the data in real-time for the duration of the 2 hour visit window to see what Im seeing.

I'm not sure what other technical info is needed for this to get properly escalated. Attached picture has more info and also speedtests using Cox.coms speedtest. (https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/speedtest.html

"According to Cisco, jitter tolerance is as follows:

• Jitter should be below 30 ms.
      • Packet loss shouldn’t be more than 1%.
      • Network latency should not go over 150 ms. This is the latency in one direction meaning the round trip time (RTT) would be 300 ms.

These figures are best practices for maintaining quality of service (QoS)."

According to Cisco on what is considered acceptable jitter tolerance, I have a major issue.

IMPORTANT: pingplotter screenshots - the 12 hour scale is crunched so the jitter data gets averaged to make the graph fit. All of the Cox.com speedtests were run within a 10 minute window. Please read the notes next to the pingplotter screenshots for clarity.
      https://imgur.com/lRTYwA6

KevinM2
        Former Moderator

Xearu, can you please email PingPlotter results to us at cox.help@cox.com? Please also bypass your wireless router and perform the tests while hard-wired to the modem. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

Zurq
    Contributor II

I have the same issue, I contacted them via email and got it resolved but the past few days i have seen the issue occur again. I dont think there is a fix for this to be honest.

Xearu
    New Contributor II

After digging around for pingplotter graphs similar to mine the closest I could come up with are ones that are displaying node saturation or a problem with packet exchange at the node. Is it possible for Cox to monitor the CMTS load because Im pretty sure that's where the issue is.

Xearu
    New Contributor II

Update 4/2/20 12:22am - Good news! For anyone following this thread, there is hope! A repair was done up the street from me Tuesday afternoon and possibly another earlier today (?) according to a hard outage I had this afternoon for an extended period of time. Unfortunately the jitter still persists enough in the evenings to cause issues for video games, live video chatting like skype, discord video, facetime and causes youtube videos to change quality constantly from 144p to 1080p. Going in the right direction though! https://imgur.com/ZbtBeOv