Forum Discussion

Chris_H_
New Contributor II
5 years ago

New node in area causing issues...

So we signed up with cox last February when we moved out here to Vegas. We signed up for the gigablast package and even decided to pay extra for the unlimited data because we work from home and also home school our children. Needless to say, out the gate we started experiencing internet issues. I'd say between the months of April to October we had at least 13 different techs out to my house. We rely on upload more then anything and working was *** near impossible. There were issues with ingress from other neighbors along with bad wiring. Regarding the node issue....Last September after calling cox almost everyday, a maintenance tech named Jon finally came out a discovered that the levels at the node were low and apparantly hadn't been touched in a couple of years ( his words), which would explain the low levels off of my modem and why no matter what we did nothing would work, especially on the upstream side, with there being only 4 up channels, oh and on top of that we just so happen to be at the end of the tap. So double negative. So he adjusted them. Jon gave me his direct number to contact him if the issues continued. We optimistic and couldn't wait to work to see if our problems had finally been solved. Unfortunately, they weren't. After calling to have yet another tech come out, it was discovered that there was another neighbor down the street who had ingress off their line leaking down to our tap. I'm assuming that got fixed because from the end October to the beginning of December, we had almost no issues. We were able to work without a hitch and homeschooling was less stressful. After about 10 months of calling cox, I had learned a few things along the way, and unfortunately had become obsessed with checking the modem logs and power levels. During the one month of success with cox, I had noted the downstream and upstream power levels at that time. Took screenshots and everything. All of a sudden in the first week of December, one particular evening I noticed my modem continuously rebooting, this last about 4 hours or so. I didn't know what was going. I checked the cox app and it showed that there was an outage. So I just figured it was like any other outage and so we patiently waited for the internet to come back up. Once it did, that night and every day since then my internet has gone right back to the same issues I was having before which is especially with the upload throughput. I stayed positive for as long as I could until finally on Dec. 18th I texted Jon and told about how the issues were back and when they began. Well made sense of things for me and told me around that time frame they upgraded the node to a new node, and while doing so one of the techs damaged the fiber which caused the outage. So I explained the Jon that I had noticed my power levels and SNR on the downstream had jumped up significantly and the my upstream levels had dropped and that working was *** near impossible again. And that I also knew that hot downstream power and snr was having a direct negative effect on my upstream. After having a few "educated" conversations that lasted the rest of the month, I finally convinced Jon to come out after the new year to check the node. So he did, and then he came to my door, I met him outside and he told me "You were right, Chris. Sorry man." He said the levels were definitely too hot and out of spec so he adjusted them and brought them down. I was just relieved that the issue was gonna be fixed. So he told me about the new node and how they can't see anything from their end anymore regarding the upstream but that hopefully by him adjusting the downstream my issues will go away. They did. For a day. And the next day the downstream power and snr had spiked again. My downstream power is out of spec and my snr is super close to being at 50db. My internet has been slow and laggy, and boy o boy, my upload, trying to upload or live stream is impossible right now. And its what we do for a living. Jon is apparantly on vacation so I haven't been able to reach him but to be honest I hate the fact that I can only reach out to one person to get this issue resolved. And though Jon has been cool so far, I don't know how patient he's gonna be much longer. It **, we pay all this money for great service but then are told by in house techs that our issue is not a priority because there aren't any other complaints currently. Its a big middle finger to the face. I need field tech that will come out and adjust/fix this node issue once and for all. My down power and snr shouldn't spike like this. Before the new node, my modem down power was sitting at around 1-4 db and the snr was between 38 to 41/42, and for the one month at those levels, service was great. Now after this new node, down power is at 8+ and snr is at 47 and service is terrible. I'm praying someone can help me with this issue. Thanks.

8 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

@Chris H. 

I hate the fact that I can only reach out to one person to get this issue resolved.

You should email cox.help@cox.com for help with your account.  Be sure to include your full name and your full service address.  Also, just a heads up for your future postings... people will probably be more likely to read your entire post if they don't have to scroll to see it all.        

Chris_H_
      New Contributor II

Interesting, when I decided to post I didn't stop to think "wait, let me make sure who ever reads this won't have to scroll down." I shared my issues that I am having with cox simple as that. And it does say paragraph in the box for a reason. I'm looking for help regarding the node in my area, not help on how to keep things short and sweet for lazy readers. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

@Chris H.  I'm a Cox customer, too.  I was just giving you some useful advice.  I wasn't trying to offend you.

• Glad I’m not alone. I just moved into our house in Henderson last May... BOTH times I’ve looked at increasing my speed and didn’t they’ve started to throttle my internet. I’m convinced it’s because I didn’t upgrade. I also work from home. 

ive talked to multiple agents today via chat and they keep “accidentally” disconnecting and I have to start all over again with someone new. My TV has buffered easily 50 times today and we don’t have anything else running on the wifi except our phones.

im sure I’ll get some BS response to reach out to cox AGAIN. I’ve already started looking at other internet providers.

Becky
      Hi Emilyjoyce89, Cox does not shape or throttle internet traffic nor intentionally impede speeds. I apologize for the difficulties you've experienced with online chat. If you're still experiencing connectivity issues and buffering, feel free to email my team at cox.help@cox.com. You can also reach out to us via our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/.../ or Twitter account (https://twitter.com/CoxHelp). We're available 24/7! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Apparently there have been some issues in the Las Vegas area.  Type "Vegas" in the Search box above and press Enter.