Forum Discussion

SlimShady420
New Contributor
5 years ago

Internet Speeds

I have Cox Gigablast (Coaxial) bundle with contour TV (7 cable boxes) and contour voice (phones work on the 1.9ghz) with the panoramic gateway but I disabled the wifi on the gateway because its signal is not good at all for my 7000 square foot home and I connected a Luxul XWR 3150 V2 AC-3100 Dual - Band router that has 4 external antennas, which I bought 2 days ago with the Cat5e cable that came with the router. On the 5ghz wifi, I only get maximum of 450 mbps, 2 feet away from the router. Shouldn't I be getting atleast 800 or 900 mbps? I understand 1000 mbps is very unlikely but I am not satisfied with 450 mbps. Cox changed the spiltters in August. I have tried the speed tests on multiple different channels and 450 mbps is the highest I've got. I've power cycled the gateway and the router and multiple speed tests. The DNS is set to Google's Public DNS. Nothing on my network is a old that would slow down my speeds. The coaxial cable is as tight and I've had others make sure the connection is tight. How can I get close to the speeds I am paying for? 

3 Replies

Zurq
    Contributor II

downgrade to the ultimate, no point in having gigablast.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi SlimShady420, I am detecting signal issues, which can impact performance. Can you please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com? It may be best to schedule a service appointment.

Cox’s network provisioning and engineering practices are designed to enable you to receive speeds for the packages you are subscribed to. There are factors beyond Cox’s control that can affect the actual speeds you may receive, including:

- The capability of end-user devices (computer, smartphone, tablet), including factors such as age, software and operating system versions, the presence of viruses and malware, and the number of simultaneous applications running.
    - Home network (Wi-Fi) connections, which may be slower than wired connections (we generally recommend performing hard-wired speed tests, for optimum results).
    - Congestion on websites visited, including high demand by multiple simultaneous users.
    - Fluctuations in latency within connecting networks outside of Cox’s network.
    - The capability of hardware used to connect to internet service (modems, routers, gateways, and associated firmware).

I am including some additional information that I hope may be useful:

www.cox.com/.../achieve-gigablast-speeds.html
    www.cox.com/.../fixing-slow-wifi.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It depends on the number of streams of your wireless device.  If your wireless device only has 1 stream, 450 Mbps sounds right.