Forum Discussion

djb
New Contributor
5 years ago

Lag Spikes & Packet Loss

Over the course of the past month I have experienced worse and worse lag spikes & packet loss most noticeably while playing games on my Xbox. They have gotten really bad where almost every single match I play online I experience rubber banding and packet burst/loss. I have tried port forwarding and that has not fixed the issue, can someone please look into this and help?? Every time I check the network settings on the Xbox it shows that I have a solid connection with 0% packet loss but every time I play online I experience the same problems! Not only that, but it seems like my internet gets throttled at times while browsing the web or streaming / downloading content on my computers! This is unacceptable and if this can't get fixed I will have to cancel my service with Cox. I am paying for 300mb and that should be more than enough for a single user like me to have uninterrupted service!

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Djb

Are you having this issue with wireless, hardwired or both devices? If hardwired, are you connected directly to the modem or router?
      djb
      New Contributor

I am having this issue with wireless devices. Have not tried wired to the Xbox. The Cox Panoramic Wifi Modem is hooked up to a Ruckus ICX 7150-C12P Compact Switch and Ruckus R510 Indoor Access Point that was provided in my home by the builder. Not sure if that effects anything. Have not been able to try hardwire on Xbox because the ethernet port in the Living Room is already in use by another device. But issues don't just pertain to the xbox, also notice throttling or slow speeds on my computer and phone at times.

Bruce_Niere
    New Contributor III

You are not alone and I have been talking to the support here, twitter, or via call but they all give the same answer, which is nothing as well. I think cox has been limiting the badnwith overall with game servers or something. They changed something couple months ago because we have been okay but now experiencing it. If you want to read my thread which has similar problem, https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/24675/packet-loss-for-a-month-now

djb
      New Contributor

So after hardwiring the Xbox to Ethernet and forwarding the ports, I ran into much smoother gameplay online with almost no lag or rubber banding.. Seemed to fix that issue.. but I still run into unstable down/up speeds through out my entire home on WiFi AND ethernet, even directly plugging into the modem I experienced huge fluctuations in speed from 30 to 100 to 200.. very unstable, idk why..