Forum Discussion

proudworld
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Data Usage Monitor is flawed

I posted a week ago when I had a Sunday spike of 49 gb, which is unusually high for us.  Yesterday...another Sunday I got a repeat performance, and I know for a fact I did not watch anything in excess.  Usage more than doubled from Saturday to Sunday for no known reason.

Other than my my wife watching about 4 extra hours of Law and Order reruns in the afternoon while cooking, there wasn't a great deal of difference from Saturday to Sunday viewing.  I watched the golf channel, as I did Saturday.

To suggest I went from 23 GB on Saturday to 48 GB on Sunday is absurd.

I purposely monitored usage closely this past week.  I've purposely downgraded my devices to 720 and good quality on Firestick devices.  The data monitor on the Firesticks does not jibe with Cox.  Had 3 days in a row at 18GB(Tues-Thur) and Friday was 16GB.  Reason for monitoring was excessive spikes early this month and trying to stay within caps...earlier this month is still inexplicable.

There is something amiss in Cox monitoring.  Unless you can explain exactly where and what caused a doubling of usage, your monitoring is BS.

Not a happy customer.

9 Replies

bearone2
    Contributor III

are you the only one on the account, someone's using the data?

proudworld
      New Contributor III

just me and my wife.  We've discussed and evaluate our viewing habits.  Yesterday...Monday was a 18 GB day again.  Just proves my point further that the Sunday spike and previous spikes are **.

We have never exceeded our cap.  Last month our highest day was a 46 GB day and 3 days were above 40 the entire month.  This month we've exceeded 46 a half a dozen times, pushing 60GB 3 times. No sense to it.

bearone2
        Contributor III

looking back to october, 3-400 total for the month & i stream fm music from sunup 'til 10p everyday.

Irishxcore
    New Contributor

Ive been on with customer service all day. I've been away for a month and I got an alert saying im at 85% of my allotted data and if I go over I will be charged. I stated that even when im home using it everyday (I work from home) I dont even come close to that high, yet im gone for a month and its nearly exceeding my limit. THEY DONT SEE A PROBLEM! And they are telling me that I would need to have a independent meter that shows differently. Cox is a bunch of scam artists and this is the SECOND TIME they have screwed me over

proudworld
      New Contributor III

The spikes I'm seeing are inexplicable with our viewing pattern.  Cox does *** in their reporting capacity.  They should break it down to hourly data, not daily.  It would help the consumer identify specific times of day that the spike is happening.  Perhaps not in your case, which is very odd.

Let me guess...they suggested someone else may have been using your network.  Laughable accusation at best.

Good luck...if it continues I'll send a note to the AG.  Monopolistic, unaccountable companies are what the AG loves to stick it to.

nonymou
    New Contributor III

The push is get unlimited. I see issues. But well the provider wins. 

nonymou
      New Contributor III

or we all being charged for ddos. 

HonestAbe
    New Contributor

I think something is wrong as well. 

Last billing cycle (data) Dec 24 - Jan 23 (2019-2020) my data spiked from a normal 300 GB per month to 895 GB. I have a TP-Link modem and router, this is the same set-up for the past few years. My router does not offer bandwidth usage logging. No new hardware has been added for at least the last 6 months. Just yesterday ( 27 Jan 2020) alone I used 100 GB.

Devices: (3) Xbox One, (2) Google Mini, (1) Google Home Hub, (2) Chromecast, up to (4) phones depending on when my children are here, and (4) smart bulbs (TP-Link LB100). These are the same devices I have had for months.