Forum Discussion

cflorin2
New Contributor III
5 years ago
Solved

Frequent internet disconnects

I have been experiencing more frequent disconnects with longer down time.  My WIFI shows I am connected to it, but states there is no internet.  I chatted with a service rep who didn’t answer any questions about outages or similar problems in the area, but recommended I purchase a new modem.  I currently have a COX provided modem.  Looks like COX has given up on customer service.  How do I contact someone from COX who can solve my problem?

• @Cflorin2, are you experiencing intermittent connectivity exclusively on WiFi or while the device is also hard-wired directly to the modem. Your signal levels look great, and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. If this happens on WiFi, are all devices affected by intermittent connectivity? I am including some additional information on ways to improve your WiFi service:

www.cox.com/.../fixing-slow-wifi.html
    www.cox.com/.../understanding-speed-test-results.html

For further assistance, please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @Cflorin2, are you experiencing intermittent connectivity exclusively on WiFi or while the device is also hard-wired directly to the modem. Your signal levels look great, and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. If this happens on WiFi, are all devices affected by intermittent connectivity? I am including some additional information on ways to improve your WiFi service:

www.cox.com/.../fixing-slow-wifi.html
    www.cox.com/.../understanding-speed-test-results.html

For further assistance, please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      cflorin2
      New Contributor III

All devices simultaneously.  All are wireless.  When this happens, I see my WIFI signal at 5 bars with the report connected, no internet.  If I wait it out, the service returns.  Reboot of the modem, router, and extender have no impacts.  Another symptom is I only see my WIFI as a choice to select from.  When there is service I can see several other signals in my neighborhood.

I will read your fixes when I get home, but I have given up on your CHAT so called help line.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Cflorin2

If you're still having an issue after trying some of Kevin's suggestions. Please try bypassing the router and hardwired a device directly to the modem to see if you stay connected.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator