Forum Discussion

dcitron85
New Contributor
5 years ago

Has anyone noticed a large increase in the GB usage at the end of their year statement? and never had this problem before ever?

I have been a cox customer for almost a yr, I ONLY switched to cox because a family member works for them and referred me, I haven't had a problem with my billing and NEVER went over my GB data EVER. I am a single mother with 3 yr. I work full time and I know my 3 yr old is not using my data up. The rep that i spoke to really couldn't explain just said well it shows your data is over so you must of went over. I have see past forums with people complaining about this, no lap tops in house or any other devices that can be streaming just 3 tv's and one never is used. I feel this is a mistake and I feel overcharged. If someone would explain to me exactly what caused this would be great, 2 other people I know had this happen to them too.  something is not right. I feel like this is a scam. I work with the public everyday and provide customer care, I am loyal customer and always pay my bill I feel taken advantage of. Nobody will prob read this but I will share my story with everyone I know and NEVER recommend COX to anyone. 

7 Replies

Zurq
    Contributor II

Same here, This is the second time this has happened last month cycle and this month cycle it has happened, I went over because of 2 days went over 180+ gb each! and this is the second time. I talked to a supervisior said he will escalate the issue and see if I can get credit for the overages cause he said your past data never went over until your last two data cycles.

PEW
    New Contributor

Happen to me this past December...my dad was here in October, watched internet TV all day with my son playing online games and we only went to about 850 gb. We watch a lot less tv and we go over...Very suspicious indeed... I've only been with them since this September but this is not good for them if I think they are over charging. I downloaded the app to I can keep track myself... Hope all goes well for you.

Zurq
      Contributor II

I talked to a rep on live chat billing and it went amazing here is what the agent said "10:19:05 PM [Stephanie P.]

At this moment I do not see any extra charge for data usage since there is not any extra charge I cannot add credit for an unbilled amount, however, I left the proper notes in your account informing this, and if there is an overage you just have to contact us back and according to my notes they will removed the overage. 

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, if you have our newer model Panoramic WiFi modem, you are able to track data usage for each individual device using the app over the course of a 24-hour period. Our Cox Data Usage Meter has been independently tested and certified by a third-party company. Here is an audit report from 2016:

www.netforecast.com/.../NFR5125_Cox_Internet_Usage_Meter_2016_Accuracy_Audit_Report.pdf

We provide a variety of tools, such as the Data Usage Meter and the Data Usage Calculator, to help manage your data usage. Please ensure all devices' operating systems are up-to-date with the latest software and are also free of any malware or viruses. Malware and viruses can use up data without your knowledge. Streaming content in 4K can also use up a lot of data as well. Here is some additional information about our data usage:

www.cox.com/.../data-usage.html
    www.cox.com/.../how-online-activities-impact-data-usage.html
    www.cox.com/.../data-usage-and-cox-services.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    proudworld
    New Contributor III

This month is definitely suspicious.  We never exceeded our limit last year.  Actually, since they started capping.  Now on pace to exceed the quota this month, and we've not changed a thing.

I've downgraded what I can on the devices to Good, not Better or Best resolution on Firestick devices.  Disconnect the devices all together at times.  I monitor our usage quite closely and going over 40 GB per day is rare for us.  We've gone 49+ GB 5 times this month, with no explanation. I did 22GB on Thursday, but that day want's much different from yesterday when I hit 49GB...give or take perhaps 4-5  hours more of Roku streaming....explain?!!  Definitely shouldn't more than double my usage.  I called in last week and got little help.

Customer service needs a better explanation.  I suggest they start providing consumers data usage by the hour so they can identify when/what is happening...and not by having to buy a new modem.  Post it.  They prefer to keep consumers in the dark it appears.

Very frustrated with poor, or no explanations for such events.

My viewing habits haven't changed.  If anything, I've curtailed them the past couple of weeks to figure out what's going on...it's definitely not my end.  

Cox needs to explain it, or credit for the inconvenience.

FrankieFrank
      New Contributor II

What I plan on doing is picking a day or two of no Internet, just unplugging the modem and monitor the daily usage chart a couple of days later.  keep everyone informed.

proudworld
        New Contributor III

Just an observation from last month to this month...quite remarkable difference between VUE and YouTube TV.  I've been monitoring my viewing pattern down to streaming music since huge spikes in data usage during January.

Last month, the last month VUE existed we spiked into the 50-60 GB/day range about 7x's. Since Cox started capping, we rarely exceed 40...that was a big day.

Since changing streaming service this month, and actually trying to pump the data up on Sunday during the Superbowl, leaving TV's on.  Wife watching something else.  Golf all day for Phoenix Open, etc.  I hit only13 GB. A similar day last month would have been 50+ GB.

So...is it Cox, or the method in which VUE was delivering the stream?  

4 days into this month I'm still under 40 GB used.  Last month using VUE...200+ GB used in 4 days.  That's an absurd difference.