Forum Discussion

Drmsand100
New Contributor
5 years ago

consistent latency issues when trying to game

Intermittent latency spikes have disrupted my ability to game, so I have resorted to adding a Centurylink DSL line just for gaming. The line is slow from a download and upload perspective, but the latency is very consistent, which makes gaming possible. I would like to know if Cox would be willing to reimburse me the $50 a month that I have to pay Centurylink since Cox is unable to provide consitent latency. The issue typically occurs at my first hop which is 10.36.72.1. I use pingplotter so I can see the latency and packet loss carrying through on the traceroute to just about any server I ping.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce_Niere
    New Contributor III

I have the same issue. Can't game at all during "at home hours". I guess Cox isn't prepared/can't keep up in the era of Netflix. Im paying $80 a month for 150mbps in a small town but just this night, I got 7mbps speed test in a very near server i pinged to. can you believe that? and all I am getting from the mods here are questions after questions. I give them what they need for proof and I haven't gotten a concrete answer yet. They even sent me a technician to come and look around my place but it wasn't a help. I have been waiting for 3 days now for a solution. I hope they wont come up an answer like "please contact the manufacturer of your router/modem"

• @Drmsand100, Please have a device perform a pingplotter test and then respond back with the results. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Drmsand100
      New Contributor

I have tried to cut and paste the pingplotter graph into the forum chat and I can't. I would love to show you the issue. In order to insert an image, I need a url?

Drmsand100
      New Contributor

I'm a somewhat knowledgeable user in that I am  very familiar with pingplotter, latency, jitter, bufferbloat, routers, modems, etc. It is very clear to see what the issue is. It is network congestion driven jitter and PL. It occurs intermittently, for days usually at the first hop beyond my router, 10.36.72.1, which is an ISP problem. I know that whoever answers this forum post will not be able to do squat to fix it. It's a general COX corporate problem. They don't care enough about gaming users to do anything. Whatever. It's just a bummer, paying for service which is substandard. It seems like monopolized industries such as cable just take advantage of their consumers. If you think you can get my $50/month refunded, then let's keep the chat going.  

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @Drmsand100, we are unable to view the contents of that link provided. For additional support, can you please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com? If there's packet loss taking place on the Cox network, then this will need to be investigated further. If packet loss is occurring on other servers outside of the Cox network, then this would be beyond the scope of our troubleshooting. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator