Forum Discussion

Bruce_Niere
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Packet loss for a month now.

First of all, I never had this issue before but now its here. I am trying to play a game but my game would stop dance or rubberband a lot. I know its packet loss because im testing it. I would send 149 packets I received 130 back, therefore packet loss. I'm calling the IT help but they always say the same thing. Call the manufacturer of your modem because it might be a hardware issue. But before their claim your basic IT help always say my modem is working fine green good connection. And I know its working its just the packet loss. So, I said please send me a technician to come and look around my area why I'm having such a stuttering connection. Guess what? The basic IT help cant even submit a ticket to provide an appointment because you're assuming its my modem? Plus it seems like your IT help doesn't even know what packet loss is. I have to explain twice what it is. How hard can it be to ask for a technician when it is my right as a customer? I'm paying on time and im paying it full. I am sure im not alone with this issue. Please act Cox

35 Replies

jwbush2
    New Contributor II

It's a joke how quickly they can get you the twitter handle while at the same time ignoring the entire issue being "addressed" in this thread.

Can we get an admin update on what our next steps would be if we're STILL having this issue? allan and kevinm2

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Jwbush2, we have thoroughly tested your modem, and we are not detecting any packet loss at this time. Do you mind answering the following questions, so that we may gain a better understanding of the situation?

Are you on a hard-wired connection or on WiFi when experiencing packet loss?
      Are you on a gaming server when this happens? If so, what gaming server?
      Are all devices in the home impacted, or is only device affected?

Any assistance you can be provide would be greatly appreciated. In reference to customers experiencing packet loss with our service, this is being handled on a case-by-case basis. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        Bruce_Niere
        New Contributor III

I see that there are a lot of us complaining about the packet loss issue.. and lots of them pointing out your guy's routing issue with loss in it. We have clear evidences .Any updates on this matter? Because when I ask this question, you guys dodge it or not answer it or just answer plainly about my modem has no issues when my question is about your guy's server hopping issue.

Robert_F
    New Contributor

I am having this same issue. I primarily play CS:GO on a wired connection and in the last couple of months the constant lag spikes have made playing the game almost impossible. It is the most frustrating thing in the world, and for $100 a month you expect better. After reading through this thread I feel like there's no point in even reporting an issue. 

jearbear
      Contributor

Robert

I went through this whole thing for months (bad latency over a year) and feel your pain. I documented everything with ping plotters. In the end I had to switch ISPs to get the result I needed. It is because of Cox's bad routing for games and aging infrastructure. I found it had to route to the East Coast to play games on the West Coast servers.

I am sure with everyone being home during this quarantine the issue is a lot worse.

Hope you get it taken care of!

bryce_clifford3
      New Contributor III

Same, and for all games. Wired connection, ping to my router is <1ms, ping to google.com spikes, times out, and is consistently high in peak hours.

I believe it's a node issue and they can't do anything to fix it. I also work from home and i've gotten terrible response back about this for a while now. Paying over $100 a month for something that doesn't work properly is unacceptable.

glefever2181
        New Contributor III

yeah their network is absolute trash, they are going to be in big trouble when Starlink and 5g start coming online. I for one will be switching. I'm tired of the "we see nothing wrong" ** while you provide graph after graph of the very obvious things wrong. I hope they go under. I hope the employees here feel good about the ** they are serving up.

LisaH
      Hi Robert F. If you are having issues with your internet, please contact us via email at cox.help@cox.com and include this link along with your complete address and name on the account and we will be glad to help. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Bruce, at this time, I am not detecting any packet loss on your modem. What games are you playing when packet loss occurs? Would you be able to provide a hard-wired traceroute directly to the modem, to the gaming server you're having issues on? We'd like to see if there's packet loss and if it's occurring on or off of the Cox network. Here is some additional information regarding our speed tests, which I feel may be beneficial in this situation:

www.cox.com/.../understanding-speed-test-results.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce_Niere
      New Contributor III

Any games I play I notice a stutter. But to answer your question its CS:GO. Thats the game I play the most. A service technician is on his way to my home. Hope this fixes it. Since you didn't detect any issue from my modem I assume its the cables out here or the neighborhood box. Cause 75 dollar fee is too much when I know its not my end. This just started out of nowhere. 

Bruce_Niere
        New Contributor III

Well the technician came and there is nothing he can do. It's beyond his reach. its the neighborhood's problem. Everything is working fine on my side. its the outside world that is bad. and I am doomed forever cause if I don't move so as my ping spikes, packet losses and many more.

jwbush2
    New Contributor II

This is insane! I’ve had these exact issues for at least six months now with very similar interactions with Cox. Trying to explain to CS what packet loss is before I lose connection to the chat and have to wait in line, get connected, verify my information then explain packet loss again just to be disconnect due to the packet loss. 

Very eager to hear what else comes of this post. Would love to be able to use the internet that I pay $100 a month for. 

Bruce_Niere
      New Contributor III

jwbush2 I have been battling with them for quite a while now and still no progress of issue. They keep saying that I have to wait for their network team for a response. It's been a week of back and forth but their answer is still "Bruce, we are continuing to monitor the request and will certainly follow up with you just as soon as we have an update" I talked on the phone, here, twitter but still no solution for this problem.  They requested for a latest or current status of my connectivity. So I made them a video to review.

I already have called out kevinm2 and allan but they haven't answered..

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Bruce, I apologize for the delayed response, and this is currently being reviewed by our Networking Team. When we receive additional information, we will follow up with you. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator