Forum Discussion

bohenlv
New Contributor
5 years ago

Does the email spam filter "learn"???

I seem to get spam from the same sources day after day after day. I dutifully send to the spam folder (which I empty daily). Is there a minimum time for the messages to remain in the spam folder for "learning"? Or am I wasting my time...?

20 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I have the same problem.  It was quiet for a while, but for the last month or so, I have been bombarded with spam emails for places like Wild Alaska Seafood, Andersen Windows, mortgage companies, car insurance quotes, and Certified Santa Letters.  I report them all as spam, yet nothing seems to be done.  It’s only gotten worse as time goes on.  The only way to block them is to create spam filters for key words, but that’s not only time consuming, it may also block out legit emails.  Just feel like it’s time for Cox to update its spam filters, but it seems nothing is being done.

ButterflyLady
      New Contributor

I'm getting them from the same companies. Are you sure that Cox hasn't sold our contacts to 3rd party vendors. 

JP_Sports
        Contributor

I get about 4-6 every day, and they all come through between 3 and 7 AM ET.  I have now created about 100 filter rules to get rid of them, but they change the spacing of the words on each new one to beat the filter, so I end up creating new ones, and the cycle continues.  I feel like someone has sold my info to a 3rd party vendor in the last couple of months.  It may have been Cox, or it may have been my state’s DMV because I renewed my license a couple months ago, and the influx of spam started about then.  What really irks me TO NO END is that Cox seemed to have it under control for a while, but now it has started again, and it seems Cox has done NOTHING to squelch this round.  And the fact that others, including my mom who has an email account under me, gets the same messages, tells me this could be a Cox issue with my info being sold to these bots.

Taffeys
    New Contributor III

From my perspective you are wasting your time. I claim that the Cox email system does not "learn" anything from users and admins do not over-ride the default rules. I challenge a Cox employee to state otherwise. I have been a Cox "customer" since 1987 since they are an approved and sanctioned monopoly by my city government. I have sent hundreds of emails to "thisisnotspam" at Cox and nothing ever changes. Cox is now tagging email from our United States White House as spam. Waiting to get banned from here again..........

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Rick, we have no intention of banning you, as the feedback you've provided does not violate any of our forum rules. Due to the high volume of emails received, a personal response is not provided to each report. Please do not interpret a lack of response as a lack of action. Our strict compliance with our privacy policies and applicable legal requirements prevent us from revealing any personally identifiable information. Therefore, we cannot disclose any specific action taken as a result of an abuse complaint. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        Taffeys
        New Contributor III

Kevin, thank you for your reply.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue, and I understand that unwanted spam emails can be agitating to deal with. You may have to forward these emails as an attachment to abuse@cox.net.

www.cox.com/.../reporting-spam-phishing-and-virus-abuse.html
    www.cox.com/.../protecting-yourself-from-spam.html

You may also set up spam filter rules through your WebMail settings on myemail.cox.net. Here's some additional information:

From your WebMail Settings menu, select Inbox, then select "Filter Rules."
    -Add a new rule.
    -Add a condition based on From, and then type in the domain of the email addresses that spam you.
    -Add an action to either discard or file the emails from that domain into any folder of your choice, such as Trash. Filtering spam at the domain level is often more effective than blocking individual email addresses. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator 

Max_Torque
      New Contributor

The problem I'm having is that I am getting a dozen or more spam emails a day, almost all from different domains. So blocking the source doesn't really help. Isn't there a way to tighten down properties to block list mailings? I sure don't have this issue with my hotmail account. 

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Cox spends a great deal of time, money, and goodwill addressing the problem. In addition, several state legislatures and Congress are trying to stop spamming through legislation. The accounts of customers who violate Cox's anti-spam policy may also be suspended or terminated. We currently have a variety of measures in place to help protect our customers and our network from spam, and we continue to look for ways to improve the service. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      bohenlv
      New Contributor

Well, I tried above for one week. This does NOT work. Copied all the domain names to a Word document so I could see what I'd "filtered." Used individual filter rule for each domain, numbered sequentially. After one week, I had 48 filter rules. Several domains made it through multiple times, after filtered for DISCARD. Multiple other senders (with same click bait titles) simply used multiple nonsense domain names.

I now just delete the offenders - much faster for me; equally efficacious

bohenlv
      New Contributor

Kevin, what is the proper way to "forward emails as an attachment"?

Thanks