Forum Discussion

MSedra
New Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Daily internet disconnect in the evening

For the past 3-4 weeks my internet keeps dropping - mostly in the evening till the morning- and the modem cannot Acquire any downstream channels. Resetting does not solve the issue. Online customer service (5-6 reps on different days) failed to solve this, and 2 attempts to get a tech to my house failed: one didn't show up and the other didn't confirm. 

At this point I don't know what to do.. my internet works well for the most part in the morning till early evening then disconnects. It's literally happening now every single day. 

Does anyone have this issue? Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is Cox aware of such problems? Can I ever get a real support before starting to look for another provider?

• So after having Cox investigated by Arris  over multiple disputes about the be SB 8200. Arris recorded my box and proved to me that Cox is so called Bandwidth throttling. With that being said we went over specifications on what should be the power levels in the upstream channels.  Sure enough it was ranging from 20-max of 34.  They clearly state that for that modem and the SB 6183 to work the power in those upstream channels has to be in the 50s .....not even the high 45-47 range.  That's why these modems keep dropping. 

1. In my first 3 way recorded call we spoke and the representative didn't know what to say. I simply asked her to increase my power in the upstream channels. I referenced the owners owner's manual and said I pay for gigablast I want the power in the 50s.  She tries some things on their end.  They keep blaming Arris and insist that's it's their router.  You know I believed this for a long time.  But when I read and keep reading reviews. I called Arris support.  And they are fed up and very upset, and in fact gathering evidence. That Cox is either throttling and keep blaming it on their modems.  In fact call Arris support they will gladly prove it to you like they did me and it gives them more proof for litigation. 

2.  With that being said and Cox run around with technicians coming over etc.  Arris finally told me what to do.  Buy an 8 or 6 Attenuator. Attached it in between the modem and the Cox Cable and Bam.  We saw finally powers in the 50s. And my modem never dropped.  But one thing to point out here is the lack of customer support from Cox. it was Arris that truly won my businesses.b

Now I do believe that at times the infrastructure is overloaded an that may result in less speed, or power to the modem.  But I'm the recordings they were like clock work. Exactly at the same times everyday. Just exactly I would receive notifications that my doorbell and or cameras or something would go off-line. Exactly at 2 am and 2 pm. As stated here .  So I thought I'd share this with you. It's all public knowledge. Arris or any modem company will gladly provide you with the specifications needed .  And or help you record what's happening with the so called Internet package we all think we are paying for.  

28 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    DaleAA
    New Contributor II

So after having Cox investigated by Arris  over multiple disputes about the be SB 8200. Arris recorded my box and proved to me that Cox is so called Bandwidth throttling. With that being said we went over specifications on what should be the power levels in the upstream channels.  Sure enough it was ranging from 20-max of 34.  They clearly state that for that modem and the SB 6183 to work the power in those upstream channels has to be in the 50s .....not even the high 45-47 range.  That's why these modems keep dropping. 

1. In my first 3 way recorded call we spoke and the representative didn't know what to say. I simply asked her to increase my power in the upstream channels. I referenced the owners owner's manual and said I pay for gigablast I want the power in the 50s.  She tries some things on their end.  They keep blaming Arris and insist that's it's their router.  You know I believed this for a long time.  But when I read and keep reading reviews. I called Arris support.  And they are fed up and very upset, and in fact gathering evidence. That Cox is either throttling and keep blaming it on their modems.  In fact call Arris support they will gladly prove it to you like they did me and it gives them more proof for litigation. 

2.  With that being said and Cox run around with technicians coming over etc.  Arris finally told me what to do.  Buy an 8 or 6 Attenuator. Attached it in between the modem and the Cox Cable and Bam.  We saw finally powers in the 50s. And my modem never dropped.  But one thing to point out here is the lack of customer support from Cox. it was Arris that truly won my businesses.b

Now I do believe that at times the infrastructure is overloaded an that may result in less speed, or power to the modem.  But I'm the recordings they were like clock work. Exactly at the same times everyday. Just exactly I would receive notifications that my doorbell and or cameras or something would go off-line. Exactly at 2 am and 2 pm. As stated here .  So I thought I'd share this with you. It's all public knowledge. Arris or any modem company will gladly provide you with the specifications needed .  And or help you record what's happening with the so called Internet package we all think we are paying for.  

Antihero
      New Contributor II

Wow. Exact problems I'm having with the SB 6183. Looks like I know how to fix it. And I'll call ARRIS for additional support. Then my lawyer I guess. Because I'm obviously (along with all the other customers) not getting the service we pay for.

jb2019
        New Contributor III

Looking up class action suits in the past, Cox was recently sued for not providing "fast and reliable" residential internet service as they advertised. Haha. But... "Because of your Cox contract, there will often be specific wording that prevents you from jumping into any Class Action that you find (this has not always been the case, and the story of why can be an interesting read)". I believe the contract also has lots of language preventing you from suing them. 

I read there is an arbitration clause for resolving disputes, I'm not small claims court would be worth the hassle. 

jb2019
      New Contributor III

Thanks for the info... It's weird that Cox won't acknowledge anything issues in their end (or customer end) on here. They have no solutions on here, only "email us".  

jb2019
        New Contributor III

So thanks for the best/only explanation I've seen so far on here. I do wonder if this type of thing would turn into a class action  thing. Wish the FCC or state public service commissions would start investigating these things. I'm going to go out of my way to try to create a report or complaint. 

jb2019
      New Contributor III

Thanks for the info... It's weird that Cox won't acknowledge anything issues in their end (or customer end) on here. They have no solutions on here, only "email us".  

ELpolacko
    New Contributor II

I'm experiencing similar. my modem resets every morning at 5:19. Not getting much help either. 

I have read through the forums here, there are a few others with similar problems, and it makes me wonder if COX pushed through some sort of update that broke the firmware on our routers. 

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @ELpolacko

We like to take a closer look at the signal levels please email my team at cox.help@cox.com.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator

ELpolacko
        New Contributor II

Scheduled a tech for yesterday, came out and replaced a filter outside. He said the signal was "low"

This morning, same **, same time. I honestly don't see this being a signal issue. Unless COX is cutting the signal supplied to the area at thte same time, cauasing my router to reboot. 

I have to ask, is this something I am just going to have to live with? Seems there are more than a few of us with similar issues, and no real responses or solutions. 

crystal6
      New Contributor

I just found this thread.  I've had a new router for a little over 2 weeks & I've been working with Netgear tech support.  Our internet disconnects for two minutes, every 12 hours, morning and evening, from 9:04-9:06.  I just tried tricking the router into thinking it's in another time zone, so I think if it were the router doing this, it should have happened 3 hours earlier.  It kept to the 9:04 time.  Lights on modem and router all remain on and things look like they should be working.  Router interface shows we are connected, but for those 2 minutes, no device can get online.  Connection returns spontaneously.  Cox tech support says they can't see a problem with the modem from their end.

Tomorrow, at 9:00 am, the router will be removed from the loop and we'll see what a computer connected directly to the modem does at 9:04.  I may have to apologize to Netgear! 

crystal6
        New Contributor

LOL, never mind.  It's the router.  There was no disconnect when I had my laptop directly connected wih the Cox modem.  OK, back to the jousting match with Netgear. 

crystal6
      New Contributor

Just a thought...is your router a Netgear router by any chance?  I've just factory restored mine for the second time & I have manually configured the settings, waiting for the 'magic' hour to see what happens. 

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @AZMike53a

Can you also send your account information so we can investigate your signal levels?

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
      tlcOKC
      New Contributor

Mine goes down at exactly 7:20PM Central Time every day and stays down for exactly 3 minutes. This includes Wifi and hardwired devices.

Allan
        @tlcOKC, I do not see any obvious issues with your equipment or signal issues from my side. I recommend reaching back out to us when you are experiencing the issue so we can take a closer look. Thanks. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @MSedra

We apologize for the experience and would love the opportunity to investigate your concern. I completely understand your frustration as sometimes there are situations that are not handled in the best possible way. If you somehow find the willingness to email our team, please send your account details to cox.help@cox.com.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator

• I have been having constant disconnects off and on for months. Just had 6 in a row today at 3:40pm cst-5:pm cst right after I had someone from Cox check on my connection because of disconnects yesterday.

rfdevil
      New Contributor II

Same issue, it's gotten really bad lately. I tried to make my own thread about it but it got removed because apparently it's spam despite it being my first post ever? Anyway, my issues are mostly in the mornings. Just this morning I had about 6 or 7 drops in the course of about 3 hours. I tried to get a service tech to come out but apparently because I purchased my modem they won't send anyone out at all unless I sign up for a service plan agreement. About at the end of my rope with my service on this and am looking for alternatives.

db2
      New Contributor

We have had disconnects and outages for the past few months and it seems to be getting worse.  We are in Oceanside, CA.  Where are you?  Most of the time, the outage is shown on the app as an area outage so I am pretty sure it’s not an issue specifically to our home.  I get the feeling they are doing construction or other infrastructure work.  But they never say that.  It would be good to know if this will continue for a week, month, year...etc.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Db2, we apologize for the outages taking place in your area. Cox allocates billions of dollars toward upgrading the network infrastructure, to provide a better network to more homes. This will also enable us to provide faster and more reliable services in the long run. If you need any additional support at all, please don't hesitate to email us directly at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Becky
      Hi Matthew, do all your devices disconnect at the same time? Are all your devices wireless, or do wired devices also disconnect constantly? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator