Forum Discussion

huebear
New Contributor
5 years ago

high ping at night

Hi there! I mostly play Overwatch and my ping has been raising to > 100ms frequently (causing lots of teleportation in-game). I've tried contacting the Cox chat support multiple times, and even after explaining I've tried restarting my modem multiple times they say "Ok no problem... let's go ahead and restart your modem. Shocker. That didn't work? Let's go ahead and restart your modem", they never listen to anything I say so I'm coming to the forums to provide any information I can to help this issue

Thank you!

6 Replies

Zurq
    Contributor II

could be Overwatch servers, get the IP to the server you are connected to and run a traceroute (pingplotter) and see where the packetloss originates, and see if you are getting ping spikes also, screenshot then post it here.

bearone2
    Contributor III

"your modem" may be the problem. high ping but what speeds up/down?

huebear
      New Contributor

Hi everyone, I'm sorry I wasn't getting emails showing someone responded. 

High ping jumping up to 150ms, and my download speeds are 2.5-5.5 Mbps on the 150Mbps plan

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator

@huebear

We like to take a closer look at the signal levels when you have a moment please email your full-service address, full name to cox.help@cox.com. Also, include this link for a point of reference.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator
      huebear
      New Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

I have sent an email there and they have tech support coming out this Friday between 5 and 7-- apparently there's a signal issue and noise on my line. 

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Huebear

Please let us know via email if you're still having an issue once the technician leaves.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator