Forum Discussion

aaronjt
New Contributor
5 years ago

Not getting gigabit speeds

Long story short:

For months I was having packet loss issues. Cox blamed my equipment dispite my repeated assurances that it wasn't my equipment. Finally they send someone out, and what do you know, it's not my equipment, it's Cox. But it's not Cox lines on my property but something larger, at the street level? Anyway, they make some adjustments to the lines, and the packet loss issue is resolved.

However, it makes me investigate my connection much more closely, and I find that while my packet loss issue is resolved, I'm only getting about 180 megabit down and 30 up despite paying for a gigabit connection.

So, I contact Cox, who this time decide to send someone one pronto.

However, just before said person arrives, he notices the recent service, and I have to explain the backstory. He then explains that there's an open ticket out for that problem yet, that is yet to be fully resolved, and once it is the issue should be resolved. I say, okay, but how will I know when that is. He says he'll e-mail.

That was weeks ago, no e-mail, no speed improvement....

What now?

And of course, I'm still paying for service I haven't been getting for at least months, and likely forever....

2 Replies

• @Aaronjit, The active tickets in your area have since been resolved. I recommend having a tech come back out since you are still experiencing issues with the service. Please send us an email with your full name, address, and link to this thread or a brief description of the issue so we can schedule the appointment for you. Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    OpenBSD
    Contributor II

Some users may get the Gigablast speeds they pay for. The problem is that Cox shares bandwidth among a population group (neighborhood). Following quote from their Internet Service Disclosure:

Our Internet technology is based on the Data Over Cable System Interface Specification (DOCSIS). DOCSIS is a shared access technology where a population of users shares the available bandwidth. This allows cable operators to take advantage of statistical multiplexing, a bandwidth sharing technique which is used to distribute bandwidth across the user population while providing a level of service designed to meet the needs of customers running the applications of their choice.

The disclosure what written on October 15th, 2016 prior to when Net Neutrality was repealed. Net Neutrality was repealed in the United States in June of 2018. So the speed statistics they provide in 2016 are essentially bogus since June of 2018. Internet providers in the United States can now throttle traffic (shape it) if it benefit the company.

This leads back to the "bandwidth sharing technique" they use across the user population (your neighborhood). You are sharing bandwidth among the other customers in your area.. The Cox nodes, equipment, etc in your area can only handle a certain amount of bandwidth.

A direct connection from a computer to your modem bypassing your router can give me you better speed reading. Also your modem signal reading's could be bad.