Forum Discussion

mkautzm
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Service Oversold in Irvine, CA. CMTS response time fluctuates wildly

It appears that Cox does not have the infrastructure to support usage at peak hours near my location.  This results in highly degraded service in the afternoon until later at night.  Some investigation strongly suggests that what I assume is the CMTS is badly overloaded.  These results were taken around 7:00pm.

When attempting to talk to Customer Support about this, they insist on just resetting my modem, and talking to anyone with any knowledge about the subject matter seems impossible.

If my service is going to be degraded, and indeed unusable for several hours a day for anything response-time sensitive, then I expect that I should be paying a 'degraded' bill...

14 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi mkautzm, can you please unplug your modem for at least 30 seconds and plug it back in for us? Please also make sure there are no loose or damaged connections in the home either. What issues are you experiencing specifically, is it slow speeds or intermittent connectivity? Are all devices experiencing this? In reference to traceroutes, we strongly recommend performing them on a hard-wired connection. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      mkautzm
      New Contributor II

This is after power cycling hardware, although it doesn't really matter because the problem is outside my house (I assume 10.75.135.1 is the CMTS).  Everything is wired, but it wouldn't matter because the problem is at the CMTS - you can even verify this by looking at the hop to my router, which is reliably sub 1ms.  Same thing with damaged connections - the response time to my router is sub 1ms.

The problems I experience are self-evident.  If the the response time to the CMTS has +/- 300ms, it means response times to every service is +/- 300ms.

Evidence suggests strongly that the area is oversold and the CMTS is overloaded during peak hours.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hello, the second hop (10.75.135.1) is more than likely your modem, as it is a private IP Address. Additionally, the first hop appears to be a wireless router because the numbers begin with 192. Your modem shows it's been online for 67 days. When power-cycling the equipment, I recommend unplugging the modem itself for at least 60 seconds. Can you please perform another traceroute on a hard-wired connection?

Also, issues are you experiencing with our internet service specifically? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    dww2000
    New Contributor

Thank you mkautzm for bringing this up. I live in Rancho Santa Margarita and have the same issue. It seems to correspond to the time when all the kids get home in the afternoon until later in the evening. Every time I call I get the same get the response "reset your modem". I had a cox person come out only to be told that my equipment was old and outdated (Arris TG2472) and that it was not supported anymore. There was no specific remedy offered. So I too have been paying for Panoramic service but not getting it. 

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @Dww2000, your modem is not reporting any signal levels to us at the moment. Can you please make sure all cables are tightly secured and free of damage? If you have a splitter, we recommend removing it for troubleshooting purposes, to see if this resolves the issue. -Kevin