Forum Discussion

Alan_J
New Contributor
5 years ago

Data usage meter doesn't match router usage reports.

I have gone over my data usage cap the last 2 months. Previously my data usage was between 300-600 GB per month, well under the cap. I decided to keep track of the total input/output of data from my tp-link router. For the last 2 days the Cox usage meter says I used ~80GB, but my router says I have downloaded ~ 4GB. Does anyone sees have a discrepancy like this? Is there anything else that could giving a false report to Cox?

2 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Alan, the Cox Data Meter has been tested for accuracy by Cox, as well as Netforecast. Netforecast is an independent third party, and they have provided an independent report verifying the accuracy of our meter. Please see their report below:

www.netforecast.com/.../NFR5125_Cox_Internet_Usage_Meter_2016_Accuracy_Audit_Report.pdf

Here is some additional information regarding data usage:

www.cox.com/.../data-usage.html
    www.cox.com/.../understanding-data-usage.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    chorton
    New Contributor

I've started monitoring mine as well, and Cox is always double what my router shows, but they are happy to quote 

the Cox Data Meter has been tested for accuracy by Cox, as well as Netforecast. Netforecast is an independent third party, and they have provided an independent report verifying the accuracy of our meter. Please see their report below:

Which doesn't tell me anything other than they certified their meter 2 years ago for accuracy.  Next time I get pulled over for speeding, maybe I can tell the cop, 10 miles ago my gps can verify I was not speeding, so his radar gun must be mistake.