Forum Discussion

Knocturna1
New Contributor
5 years ago

Arris SB6183 Docsis 3.0 consistently rebooting multiple times

I have a reoccurring problem where my Arris SB6183 Docsis 3.0 modem has been rebooting itself around the same time (midnight to 130am) it has been happening consistently over the past 3 days. I did a bunch of troubleshooting with cox support and was told the signal is good and there is no abnormalities to the connection from my modem to the ISP. I haven’t had any issues with slow speeds, it’s just the constant reboot. I had the technician remote reboot my modem and the modem did the same thing it does when it resets itself on its own, the power light is solid but the send, receive and Online light are all blinking for about 7-10 secs before going through it’s motions of trying to Reestablish connection. It always reestablishes connection after the reboot. I’ve seen a lot of people with similar issues across these forums, they all have a technician come out and tell them that everything is fine. I don’t know what do, if I could possibly get my firmware on my modem check to make sure that isn’t an issue. I don’t want to go through all the same unnecessary steps that people with the same problem as me had to go through to no end. If I could get some help on this I would greatly appreciate it. 

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Jacoby
    New Contributor

Having same problem with mine called Arris said upstream signal is to weak to stay connected. Cox was not willing to help tryed to sell me an upgrade and charge to send a tech out. It was working fine up until Fri evening.

Knocturna1
      New Contributor

This is not a coincidence that a lot of people with the same model of Arris modem started to have this problem in the same week. I got the same response from Cox, they first tried to sell me an upgrade and then they wanted to send a tech out because they are the only ones who can put in a ticket for a higher tiered more knowledgeable techs to dive deeper into the problem. Someone had a similar problem in the forums with the same model Arris Modem which started rebooting around the same time as mine did, he said his problem magically disappeared when he signed up for cox complete care. It's all very strange because it's obvious there is no interruption of service, it's just being made to reboot. But I'm not getting any answers from Cox other than buying new equipment or a service plan.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @Knocturna1, I feel it may be best to send out a service technician to diagnose this further. At this time, your signal levels are within the normal specifications, and I'm not seeing any packet loss at this time. To schedule a service appointment, please reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Jrace
    New Contributor

I’m having the same problem with my modem. I have that same model modem and this happened to me about a week ago where it continued to reboot late at night. Hasn’t happened again until last night and now it’s 11am and I’m still having the same problem. I don’t understand this issue at all and would rather not buy a new modem. I’m assuming you haven’t been able to figure out a solution to this problem yet, but if you do, please let me know!

Ultshade
      New Contributor

The problem was caused by a firmware upgrade to the Cox surfboard modem that did not work. I went to Best Buy and purchased to new 8200 modem. Cox is not very apologetic

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @Jrace

If you haven't verified what firmware you have we can check just email the full-service address and name to cox.help@cox.com.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator