Forum Discussion

Kenneth_H_
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Internet down every day

I'm one of many customers who has been experiencing loss of service regularly every day at the same time. I am curious what Cox is planning to do in order to compensate for the constant, regular interruption of service. I understand service issues occuring every once in a while but a repeated problem every single day at the same time is something that should be easily traced and fixed. As it stands this is a failure to provide services promised, and I am seriously considering moving my services to a competitor due to the constant issue of losing connection.

16 Replies

Handball
    New Contributor II

I’m in the same boat as well, my internet goes down daily sometimes multiple times a day. It would be one thing if it was occasional but daily to several times a week is absurd. Hope Cox can figure out their issues as I am currently looking for a different service should this continue.

BrianM
      I am seeing a lot of timeout errors on your modem history. Short of checking connections/bypassing any possible splitters we will likely need to have a technician out to your home to investigate. If you would like to setup a service call, please email us with your home address and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com

Brian
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Carne
    New Contributor

Happens to me all the time and whenever I call into support I have some barely trained script parrot more interested in trying to sell me an upgrade package or a new modem instead of trying to resolve my issue. If they actually had a competitor I would have dumped them long ago.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @Carne, are you on WiFi or on a hard-wired connection when experiencing intermittent connectivity? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @uconnjay1, do you have a splitter or an amplifier in the home? Your modem is not communicating any signal levels to us at the moment, which means the network is not properly transmitting the signal to your home. Can you please also make sure all cables are tightly fastened and free of damage? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @Kenneth H, it would be disappointing to see you leave the Cox family, and we apologize for the ongoing service issues. Your modem levels are outside of our preferred specifications, and I strongly recommend sending out a service technician to diagnose and correct the issues. Please also make sure there are no loose or damaged connections in the home either. To schedule a service appointment, please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Kenneth_H_
      New Contributor II

The modem is less than two months old, all connections have been tested and check out, cable in house and to modem are brand new and all connection issues have been traced to ipv4 address 68.1.5.140 which is not on my local network, server name dalsbprj02-ae1.0.rd.dl.cox.net. So want to tell me again it's on my end? I probably have more experience than everyone in your support center combined. Perhaps instead of trying to blame the customer's equipment you'd better serve your customer base by ensuring your own equipment is operating properly.

Kenneth_H_
        New Contributor II

And I've figured out the problem, running a trace route to the IP address assigned to my modem immediately after it went down today showed that IP address as well as the DNS server address it was assigned by being located in Hong Kong, which suggests that your servers are being hacked for signal interception. This is a massive security risk.

Khanzilla
    New Contributor

Having the same issue here. Every day around 8pm to 9pm, my internet becomes pretty bad especially for online gaming like FPS.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @Khanzilla, I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary with your modem currently. Are you on WiFi or are you on a hard-wired connection when experiencing intermittent connectivity? What FPS games are affected? Does this happen when doing other internet-related activities such as streaming movies, TV, or surfing the web? Are multiple devices impacted? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        Khanzilla
        New Contributor

I'm on a hard-wired connection.

The game, in specific, is Overwatch, but I also have issues with Twitch streaming and Netflix. There is a lot of lag, buffering, and dropped connections during this time making it impossible to use these applications.

Yes, there are multiple impacted devices. My wife has an identical computer to mine (same OS and identical hardware) that experiences the same problems at the same time and is also hard-wired into our modem.

Right now, we have a service technician scheduled to come out and take a look tomorrow, so I hope that goes well. It just seems very odd that it would something in my home since the issue is consistently between 8 and 9pm CST.

I appreciate you taking a look, Kevin. If you have any other advice, I'm all ears!