Forum Discussion

CNG
New Contributor
5 years ago

Wired connection on wireless router will not work

I added a wireless router (netgear AC1750). The wireless works, but i cannot get the wired connection to a computer to work.  I cloned the PC MAC Address. Any ideas?

6 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Is the wired connection enabled under Network Settings?  If so, try disabling the wireless card on the computer?

What do you mean by cloned MAC address?

CNG
      New Contributor

There is no wireless card in the computer.  The wired connection is enabled.  According to information I found on the web, cox requires you to clone the PC MAC address to the router in order for you to connect to the internet because cox tracks you by MAC address.  I have tried 2 different routers with the current one being the Netgear.  The connection on the PC toggles between connected to internet and not connected but there is actually no connectivity.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Cox tracking MAC addresses on your network is not true.

How old is this PC?  You could try to update the driver of your NIC.

• Hi CNG. We don't require you to clone a PC MAC address to allow a device to connect to the internet. Please change the settings in the computer back to set DHCP automatically and make sure that TCP/IPv4 is checked and in the properties, make sure that you select to obtain an IP and DNS automatically. If you continue to have issues with your computer, you may have an issue with the network card. For $10.00 per month, our Cox Complete Care Team can assist you with troubleshooting this or you can contact the manufacturer of your computer. Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

After you configure as per Lisa's guidance and you're still not connecting, check to ensure your router is even issuing your computer a private IP address.

I don't know your OS, but, if Windows, Start > Run > [type] cmd > press Enter > [type] ipconfig

The result should list an IP address for your computer, the IP of your router and your subnet mask.  If the computer is not connected, the result would look like the following:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

You could also try disabling your NIC....waiting a few minutes...and re-enabling.