Forum Discussion

Pais
New Contributor
5 years ago

None of my cable outlets will connect

I have tried plugging in the newest contour and modem into every single cable outlet in the house and it’s not connecting. We live in an old house. Could the outlets need updating to work with the newer box and modem? Because the other 10-year old boxes worked just fine.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Pais, if you're upgrading to the Contour 2 platform, it is a much more powerful system than our older platforms. Therefore, it requires more signal strength in order to reach optimal performance. In order to be certain, a technician would more than likely need to go out to the home for this. Are you experiencing any error codes on the TV? Do you have a splitter in one of the rooms? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III
      optimal performance

It should at least receive a signal.

Pais
      New Contributor

No error codes. We setup the menu on the contour, but when we tried to watch a show, the screen would go black and nothing would come on. It would also tell us to try a different show. We aren’t using a splitter, but I couldn’t get the old cable to disconnect from the outlet to try the new one. It’s frozen from age. We will most likely need a technician, but we just started having a bunch of electrical problems the same night after we tried to hook everything up, so we will need to get that sorted and fixed before we can have a technician out. The modem did connect to one outlet, but it’s all the way at the other end of the house and the signal doesn’t reach where we need it to.

Becky
        Hi Pais, when you're ready to schedule a service call, email our team at cox.help@cox.com. We'll be happy to set up an appointment for you! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Only one outlet receives the primary signal from Cox, and the outlet would be the one previously connected to the 10-year box.

Can you post the rating of your splitter...900 MHz, 1000 MHz?  Also look for an RG number on your coaxial cables inside and outside your primary outlet

Pais
      New Contributor

We hooked up the contour to the same outlet that the previous box had been. I’m sorry, I don’t know anything about the cables. But I do know they are probably older than dirt. We weren’t using a splitter for the contour or the modem. We directly plugged it into to the cable outlet. I tried to replace the cable with the new one, but the old one is frozen in place and I can’t unscrew it. However, I tried hooking the modem up with the cable that came with it, and still no luck.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

It's not that RG-59 can't carry the signal...it's that RG-59 can't carry a "clean" signal as far as RG-6.