Forum Discussion

Bird_Dog
New Contributor
5 years ago

Suspicious Activity Again and Again and Again

I have been a COX customer for 23 years. Until the last year I doubt  that I encountered a single problem with password and/or suspicious activity. For the last year or so, more and more and more of my routine regular email has been showing up as "Spam" and marked accordingly. I didn't pay a lot of attention to this other than curiosity as to why it was happening. I simply opened the email, marked it as "Not Spam" and went on. In June I had the first suspicious activity event occur. As instructed I went in and changed passwords on the account. Then as usual it took hours and hours and hours to sync the new password up with my email program (MacMail). Eventually, I managed to get things properly "talking" to each other. All went well until Wednesday or Thursday of last week. I received a very strange email that portended to be from COX. The heading looked odd and the body of the email was blank. Thinking this was a phishing email I called COX. .When I called about that odd email I was told that for my own security I should change my password. Knowing the misery I went through the prior change I elected to not change it since I felt that it was an excellent secure password. The next morning my cox account was shut down. Keep in mind that the body of the suspicious email was blank. I now find out that it should have been populated with an explanation and notice that my account would be shut down if I did not change password. It did not so I did not know...... I went through the process of changing passwords 5 or 6 times but nothing seemed to work. I called COX for help. That began a non-stop six hour torture activity being transferred from one department to the next. Each time I had to re-explain the problem......each time had to go through the "change password dance." In the end each party passed me on to another. For six hours this went on. I lost an entire day of work, suffered a low blood sugar and heart problems because I could not leave the phone without a disconnect. Six hours with no resolution. At the end I still am unable to send emails from my primary COX account. I have been told that the reason my account was shut down was for suspicious spam activity from my sending ISP. That is absurd. I have sent two requests to "unblockrequest@cox.net" with no results or even a contact to explain why I am being treated this way after 23 years.........Would someone PLEASE tell me how to get my sending ISP unblocked so I can send emails.......Would someone please explain why this is happening.......Would someone please explain how to stop it. .........In short after 23 years is it to much to ask for and receive some ASSISTANCE..........................THANK YOU

31 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    woodsman
    New Contributor

I could have written this account... I have been through the exact same situation since Saturday!  Thank you for taking the time to write this - it is so frustrating.  Round and round I go with tech help - they are so clueless.  The first guy said it was a problem in my home and I should pay $10/month for "upgraded help."  Its not in my home and I can prove it.  Second guy slurred his speech (drinking), third guy was better but didn't fix it.  He submitted a form to "someone" that would get back to me in 24-48 hours.  Well, that didn't happen either.  My whole life is centered around this email address.  I'm tempted to just drop it and create another one....but wait, can't do that anymore as of August.  WTF?

Bird_Dog
      New Contributor

Oh yes, I failed to add that I too was told by not one but by two COX "experts" that they could fix my problem but I would first have to signup for a pay by month contract as some sort of Cox Preferred Care program or some such foolishness. Normally, I try to stay reserved with people who are at least attempting to help me but these two contacts were nothing short of a poor attempt at extortion. I was not reserved. And yes, I was also told by a tech named Jason that he would personally send a request to have my sending ISP unblocked........That was last week. Still blocked and still no response to my "unblock" requests. I guess I should not be stunned any longer with poor service from any number of different companies. But THIS is truly beyond the pale of decency. COX is just flat ignoring this situation and is not called to task for what they are doing to paying customers..........

BassetMom
        New Contributor II

Agreed!!

I work for a small local business and noticed about 2-3 weeks ago - that EVERY one of my previous Clients that have a cox.net account - Did NOT receive my correspondence even though we've been communicating for YEARS!!!

Not only does this look absolutely unprofessional on my part - But what about the MONEY i POTENTIALLY LOST????????

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @Woodsman, Cox sends out emails requesting that customers change their password not only for security reasons but also because our system detects unusual activity associated with that email address. This could be because Cox thinks your email password has been compromised or that your computer may be infected with Malware. Cox offers McAfee free, for up to five devices in the home. Please ensure all devices in the home have anti-virus and anti-malware protection.

www.cox.com/.../cox-security-suite-plus-powered-by-mcafee.html

Cox uses several IP and domain-based RBLs to make filtering decisions. Ensuring that your IPs and domains are not listed on these types of lists will reduce your chances of being blocked by Cox as well as other providers. In reference to the email issue, you will need to visit www.spamhaus.org/.../, enter your IP address (you can get this from http://whatismyip.com), and press the Lookup button. If your IP address is listed on one of the blocklists, the lookup tool will tell you which one and will give you information on how to resolve the issue. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bird_Dog
      New Contributor

Woodsman......It has been 4 days since your post. My same issue has not yet been resolved. Has yours? If yours has, what was the fix and did you ever receive an explanation as to the cause?

Bird_Dog
      New Contributor

I have been using COX email along with MacMail for years with no problems until last June is when it started. Now, this situation is just the culmination of a problem systemic to COX which they seem not to care about a remedy.

Becky
        Hi Bird Dog, one of the agents you spoke to on 11/1/19 escalated an unblock request on your behalf. We'll let you know as soon as the request has been completed. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator