Forum Discussion

jfobrien34
New Contributor
5 years ago

Got a free 'upgraded' modem, and my internet has been cutting out about 10 times per day ever since.

Can I re-install my old modem, or is this a ploy by Cox to get me to upgrade my internet service?

15 Replies

Bollisimo
    New Contributor

Sounds like we may have the same issue. Any online service I connect to cuts out roughly every thirty minutes.  Makes gaming impossible. 

JudyG
      New Contributor II

I have been having the same issue for several days now and I am so FRUSTRATED!!  The TV freezes, then does not restart.  Many times I cannot change channels, it tells me "we are having trouble . . . try again shortly" but trying again and again for several hours and it still occurs repeatedly.  This has been going on for several days v. .  if not weeks.  I live in the Tyson's area of Northern Virginia.  This is happening with my internet service also.=, not just TV

Becky
        Hi JudyG, have you power-cycled your receiver or reset the receiver using the www.cox.com tool or the tool in the Cox Connect App? (Reset online by logging into cox.com and then going to www.cox.com/.../resetting-your-cable-receiver.html.) Also, check to ensure the coax connection screwed into the cable box hasn't come loose. Are there any splitters on the coax connection to the cable box? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Becky
      Hi Bollisimo, your modem metrics look good. Are you gaming on a device wired to the modem with an Ethernet cord? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Hi Jfobrien34, several of your modem metrics are outside of our preferred specifications. Unscrew the coax cable from the back of the modem and then reconnect it, making sure the coax is secured to the modem finger-tight. Are there any splitters or extra connectors on the coax cable to the modem? If so, remove them and connect the modem directly to the coax cable outlet. After re-seating the coax to the modem or removing splitters, be sure to unplug the power cord for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. If there are no splitters or extra coax connectors, and re-seating the coax doesn't decrease the number of times your internet connection drops during the day, I suggest a service call so an on-site technician can resolve this for you. Email my team at cox.help@cox.com and we can schedule an appointment at a time that works for you. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    gr8shape
    New Contributor

Mine too. I live in Georgia and our WiFi has been awful for the last week, all my devices are showing the WiFi bars but when trying to get online some where we get messages stating that we need to be connected to the internet. I have had to hard boot the equipment at least 3-4 times in the evening but it does not help. We are canceling our Cox account and joining up with  ComSouth.

Allan
      @Gr8shape. Your modem is reporting good signals and I do not see any unusual latency at this time. Is this issue only happening with wireless devices? If so, can you try a wired device to see if you can replicate the issue? Thanks. Allan, -Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    Volkisch73
    New Contributor

I am also experiencing this. Internet cuts out at least five times a day and quickly reconnects. But it makes gaming impossible. 

gr8shape
      New Contributor

Same here, my daughter is livid. Xbox cuts out and she goes ape s**t on me, 😂

Volkisch73
        New Contributor

Its happened before but getting rid of splitters fixed it. This time nothing has fixed it. And it just started randomly happening one day. Im on wall connection btw not wifi.

tallguy22
    New Contributor

As a non, Cox employee, gamer, reading this, let me preface this by saying, the modems cable companies sell ya'll are ...GARBAGE. I've been with Cox a long time. They come do stuff when they say they will they have people on a chat room at 3:00am when I'm gaming on the weekend. They won't come out and tell you this... But you need to ditch whatever modem they are selling you and get a Motorola or some third party that you look it up on their website or call and ask if it's compatible.  I have the Motorola Arris SB6183. Bought it like 5 years ago. Not expensive. It screams. Also, don't run 30000 feet of Wal-Mart cheap cable to your 2002 VCR, DVR's and whatever in your home. Use CAT 5 or 6 cables to connect to gaming systems. Wi-Fi users are mostly "Noobs" (Speaking the language) And ask Cox how much it'd cost to run that high dollar cable inside the home that they have on the outside. Luckily I had a buddy work for them, gave me some. He don't work for them anymore, so I'm not getting anyone in trouble by saying that.

I had THE WORST luck when I had this house initially, and it was due to a roommate with 5 or 6 splitters and Wal-mart junk cable running across the carpeted floor, etc. There's probably a 10 page log on my account at Cox and they probably had me flagged back in 2004-2006 as a "problem customer" or "Needy".  Ask them how many times I've called in the past 10 years, since my buddy gave me that cable and I bought a 3rd party modem. Maybe twice in 10 years. ALSO, you need to set your router up for static IP on your console and manually put the DNS servers by running tests. GOOGLE and YouTube how to do it all. IT's out there.