Forum Discussion

ekhawaii
Contributor
5 years ago

My UPLOAD, using the COX Speedtest, has dropped in half over the last week

I'm hardwired using Win10.  I've reset the modem a few times by the power cord.  I run the speedtest to my local OC county and other areas.  I'm told I have the Premier with 200MBps/10Mbps upload.  I've noticed that over the past week my upload speed has dropped from 10.7+ to around 5.5 or lower.  I've run the test to various parts of the country and notice higher Uploads to far away places like Nova and New England than to my local OC area.  This was done on 10/21/2019 at around 9:30am.

OC- 7/3 ping/jitter 227.2down/5.5up

Las Vegas, 232mi 14/49, 58.4/5.6up

Nova, 2269mi, 76/4, 25.7/11.1up

New England, 2568mi, 74/3, 26.1/11.0up

Using PingPlotter, I get the following when I go to Cox.com(45.60.49.167), I show hop 6 (4.7.26.45) has a 45% Packet loss where all the other 7 have 0%.  Note: I could not find a way to clipboard insert or the insert a file into this message...asking for a URL??

Anyway, My question is what happened to my local area Upload speed to drop, and why would going to New England produce a higher number for Upload.

Since I'm not a gamer, so I don't think I'm bothered by the lower Upload as long as my Download stays around 220-240Mbps....which it has for a reasonably long time.  I've always wondered why when users post their Cox internet speed times that I never see where and how far away the ISP that they are testing and getting poor results.  Just asking.....

18 Replies

Zurq
    Contributor II

happening to me also, had a linemen and tech come out and they said that nothing is wrong. I have no idea what is going on.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

I've noticed a recent drop in the upload speed reported by Cox too.  The upload speed reported by the Cox speed test is approximately half that reported by the Speakeasy speed test.  It appears that Cox's speed test tool reports a slower upload speed.

Zurq
      Contributor II

Speedtest.net shows slow speeds also.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Cox and Speakeasy both use Atlanta and Phoenix.  Cox's reported upload speed to Atlanta was slightly faster for me than the corresponding upload speed reported by Speakeasy, but Cox's reported upload speed to Phoenix was significantly slower than Speakeasy's speed to that city.  (The upload speed to Atlanta was about double the speed to the other cities I tested with Cox's speed test tool, including some cities that were closer to me).  It appears the city you select for testing can make a bigger difference in your reported speed than the speed test tool you use.  I would suggest trying a number of different cities to get a better idea of your upload speed. 

ekhawaii
      Contributor

CurtB and Zurg...thanks for the followup.  LIke CurtB said, my OC uploads are about half what use to be a few weeks ago.  I tried using the Speedtest.net (where I can also point to COX OC) and I get about the same 227+ download but 6.1upload. I seem to get faster Uploads from cities on the other side of the states....weird.

The problem must be something local to the COX network.  I also tried Speakeasy and a few other testing sites.  Many do not have similar locations, but I do see Uploads as high as 12+ from my site.  Since I don't game, I'm not worried, but others may have major issues.  I think my download is OK, maybe not like gigablast.

On another note, when you guys insert a image to this forum, do you use cut/paste like to a clipboard, or are you using Insert pulldown.  I have trouble with both, and was just wondering how to. With Insert, I get a ? about URL, rather than a file I have stored on my PC.

Zurq
        Contributor II

I hit windows key+shift+S   and I just paste it into the chat box.

• I did more speed testing using both COX (to my OC server) and using about 5 other test links, from openspeed, att, speakeasy, DLS Rpt...etc.  My conclusion is that every one gives a different results, especially on the Download side.  All depends on how far the servers are located.  I see so many users make issue of various slow speed, but I wonder how many pay attention to where the tests are going.  Some of the testing tools do not allow changing servers.  Speedtest.net to OC gave me the closest to COX.  ATT and DLS Rpt gave the highest, similar to what I was getting on COX for both the Download and Upload side a week or so ago. I think using the COX speed test is not the only tool to use.

My issue when posting this thread was I was wondering why the Upload dropped to almost half my 11.0 numbers from a week ago.  As I said, I'm not concerned since I'm not a gamer, but other users may find a problem with this.  I'm guessing that there is a bottleneck in some server that PingPlotter identified for me that is used when I speedtest to my OC server.

My other issue is about not being able to post into this forum any screenshot or clipboard images.  I can use the snipping tool that Zurg mentioned, but the rt mouse paste is blank.  I tried to post my PingPlotter image but could not get it to work.  However, it does paste into my email and into other images.  I use Firefox and have tried various screen capture utilities.  Kinda weird, because I see other users including their clipboard entries.  For me, I can post pure text into the forum, but not images...my Pingplotter did show packet lost at hop 6 to Cox.com....however, just 'ping -n 20 cox.com' showed no packet lost

Geauxkoo
    New Contributor

I've been dealing with the same issues for years. Numerous tech and linemen visits. Replaced literally everything from the pole to my house, including modem and ethernet cords. Linemen come out say they find something but upload is still basically non-existent. I've since gave up. Good luck. My speed - 

Ping

ms

Jitter

ms

Download

Mbps

Upload

Mbps
      ekhawaii
      Contributor

No way...you are using gigablast and are you using the Cox speed test to a nearby server?  Have you tried some of the many other speedtest utilities?  I cannot believe that the same lines to your PC can have so different values.  Now I know that download and upload speeds are controlled by the ISP.

Did you ever get uploads, say in the 20-30 range a few weeks or months ago for giga?  COX has got to be the problem!  There is a user, Zurq that has been posting some CMD line commands to update within this forum.

Mine right now, using COX is 228/5.2 in OC Server.  I get 222/11 using speedtest.net.  I use to get 10.7+ using the Cox speedtest a few weeks ago...So, something is wrong, maybe use a different testor.  Here is the weird thing, when I use COX to NewEngland (2500mi away), I get 26.6 and 11.1Upload...why half the upload to my local area!!

Geauxkoo
        New Contributor

I've used just about every speed test site (speedtest.net, speedof.me, testmy.net.cox.com) all have low upload speeds. I'll randomly get the 35mbps, but it don't last long. Every now and then it'll last a day, but then it goes back down to almost nothing. I rely on upload speeds because I stream to multiple platforms, but I can rarely do it because of my upload speeds. I'll get slightly different speeds based on the location i ping, yes. But it is no where near the 35mbps speeds i'm suppose to be getting.