Forum Discussion

A__Dino
New Contributor
5 years ago

IPv4 Connectivity cuts out for around 10 seconds every couple of minutes for an hour a few times a day.

For the last few months my internet has been very spotty in which certain websites or programs will disconnect for several seconds every few minutes a few times a day. I wasn't sure what the problem was but through some trouble shooting it appears that IPv4 disconnects while IPv6 works perfectly fine. Websites like Youtube, Google, and Wikipedia that I assume are IPv6 websites never cut but all other websites and programs do. This is apparent when I'm playing a game while talking to friends on Discord. I'll disconnect from the game and stop transmitting voice on Discord but I can still hear everything they are saying. Also, when I go to control panel > network and sharing center > and then click on my WiFi connection while the problem is happening IPv4 will say No Internet Connection while IPv6 says Internet. Windows trouble shooting says "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding."

I messaged support and they didn't help at all because they said that they can only diagnose the problem while it is occurring. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to message them while its occurring when the cuts only last about 10 seconds at a time and I cannot connect to the Cox website during the short time frame available.

I've tried disconnecting the modem both manually and on the app, the problem is the same on every device, and the problem is on Ethernet and wireless connection. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling internet drivers and resetting IP connections to their installation defaults and nothing works. We even went as far to replace our modem with the newest one.

Any permanent solutions to the problem would help. Thanks.

4 Replies

Capt__Rick
    New Contributor

Same issue in Pensacola, FL - I have never had issues with Cox, but the problem you describe has been happening over the past 2 weeks. 

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @Capt. Rick, I am detecting intermittent packet loss, however, the packet loss is quite excessive when it occurs. This will more than likely require a service appointment in order to have corrected. To have a service technician scheduled, please reach out to us on Facebook, Twitter, or through cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    A__Dino
    New Contributor

Okay, I messaged support when the problem occurred like they said and after sending my problem they said their services were down. I'm starting to think they just either don't want to help or they don't know how to help because I don't know why they wouldn't say their services are down to begin with.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi A. Dino, your modem levels appear to be within the normal range and I'm not seeing any packet loss. What websites seem to be problematic? Do you experience these issues while surfing the web, streaming movies/TV shows or only while gaming? Would you be able to provide us a traceroute on a hard-wired connection to the servers in question? You are welcome to provide the traceroutes or PingPlotters to us at cox.help@cox.com, Twitter, or Facebook. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator