Forum Discussion

KristenKerensky
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Your upload speed is unacceptable trash.

I stream on Twitch to supplement my income. Between the hours of 7:30 and midnight (primetime hours, and the only time I can be live because of my dayjob) it's a coin flip whether your upload speed will be usable. During my stream tonight I dropped in the ballpark of 10,000 frames over the course of five minutes. That is the same as not streaming. You are messing with my money.

We have had techs out to the house every couple weeks over the course of the last three months (as we did the LAST time we dealt with this issue last year) and none of them can see our packet loss because it doesn't start until after 7, and none of your techs are out that late.

If I had literally any other option in my neighborhood I would switch to them instantly, because your entire company is bad, and you are keeping me from being able to perform.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Zurq
    Contributor II

I am having the same issue, getting 1-5mbps when I am supposed to be getting 10. trash isp.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Kristen, it would be disheartening to see you leave the Cox family, and we apologize for the unstable connection. Are you on WiFi or are you hard-wired directly to the internet modem when experiencing these issues? If you're on WiFi, can you please hard-wire a laptop or PC directly to the modem and perform a speed test for us?

We suggest using the Cox Internet Speed Tool, http://bit.ly/2VsdGbX.

We'd like to see what upload speeds you are currently receiving. For additional support, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com, Facebook, or Twitter. I edited your initial post because of profanity. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      KristenKerensky
      New Contributor II

The computers we stream on are wired up to the router in a usual way. The issue is not with our hardware. Have a look at this pingplotter screenshot.

This is the sort of s-t we're dealing with over 30% packet loss. When it gets bad our upload speed tests show anywhere between 0.03 and 1.30 mbps.

I will not be getting in touch with you over Facebook or Twitter, partially because I'm not on those services, but mostly because I think being publicly shamed is the only way a conglomerate ever does anything to help it's customers. To that end, my viewership is well aware that Cox Communications is the reason why our streams are sometimes very buffering-heavy or have needed to be cancelled or cut short.

Allan
        Hello KristenKerensky. It looks like the issue is beginning on hop 2. This could be the hand off from the router or just outside of the home. I recommend bypassing the router and running the test again. If you get the same results, we will need to have a tech come out and take a look. Please let us know the results. Thanks. -Allan Cox Support Forums Moderator.
  • I am also having the same problem. I am paying for 30, and oh their speed test internal and speedtest.net all say I get that. it is wrong, they are shaping traffic to make it look good or something.
    I test other places, testmy.net, uploads to servers my friends run (also on cox networks 5 blocks from my house), twitch upload tests(amazon servers so yea, not some little place) youtube upload tests (google servers, not small) all come back at 7 mbps on a good day, and often going into the kbps range. I have had 3 techs come out, submit tickets to get more work done and nothing. 

Allan
      Hello Thejamesshow00. Your modem is reporting multiple time out errors. Are there any splitters or signal amps on the cable line going to the modem? -Allan Cox Support Forums Moderator.
      Allan
      Hello BRUXXUS. What speeds are you currently getting? Also, when do you experience this issue? -Allan Cox Support Forums Moderator.