Forum Discussion

John_from_Golet
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cox security suite

I recently got Cox Internet service. While reviewing my account information, I discovered that it says I'm entitled to free McAfee powered Cox security suite. When I go through the process of trying to download it at the Cox website I get the following error message "We're sorry, an unexpected error has occurred with this application. Please try again. If you need help, contact Customer Care or Live Chat for assistance." Am I in fact entitled to McAfee? If so, how do I download it?

5 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @John from Gol

That's correct you should be able to get the free version of McAfee. Please check the link and make you don't have another anti virus already installed https://bit.ly/2qoI31r.

John_from_Golet
      New Contributor

OK, ended up where I started.  "We're sorry, an unexpected error has occurred with this application. Please try again. If you need help, contact Customer Care or Live Chat for assistance."  Also, I'm on a Windows 10 machine and don't see how to uninstalled the built in security.

John_from_Golet
        New Contributor

I'd add that I tried the link on several devices with the same result. I wonder if there is an issue with my account. 

cjmnews2
    New Contributor

Honestly if you have Windows Defender, don't bother with McAfee.  It is slower, doesn't catch anything more than what Windows Defender would catch.  Adding 3rd party virus scanners make your system more at risk than if you didn't have one.

Use Windows Defender, put UBlock Origin (ad blocker) on your browser, use OpenDNS on your router and you will have blocked almost every attack out there.  The risks here are opening attachments from unknown people and clicking links in email from unknown people or those pretending to be real companies.