Forum Discussion

Alan_B
New Contributor
5 years ago

Intermittent Email problems between Outlook and Cox servers

I am blocked from adding to a previous thread so I'll start a new one.

This is the umpteenth time Cox has had an issue with Outlook.  I've had various versions of Outlook, various virus protection software packages, none of those variables matter.  It is not Outlook and it is not my computer.  This is a Cox issue.  I once reached an honest level II tech support person who admitted as much but lately I can't get past level I techs to sort out the problem.

I've changed passwords on all my devices to complex passwords and simpler ones.  Doesn't fix it.  I've increased the Time Out timing.  I've worked with both POP and IMAP ports.  We even pointed at a different server when Cox changed servers.  I've tried everything!

The problem is here today and stays for weeks, then mysteriously goes away.  Only to come back again in another form.

Outlook issues a pop up indicating, "Receiving reported error (Ox900CCC92):  Your email server rejected your login.  Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded:  -ERR Account is temporarily unavailable.  

I have been a loyal Cox customer for a long time - internet, TV and telephone and I am about at my wit's end.  If we don't get this resolved soon, I will take my business elsewhere.  

Here is a post from the previous thread:  

Intermittent Email send/receive failures with POP3 - Again, for weeks

I posted this a couple weeks ago, have received no responses, and discovered it was deleted. So I'm posting it again. Don't delete it again...please solve it.

For the past few weeks now, I've been experiencing the infamous & intermittent email send/receive failures, like many other customers in these forums have reported.

My system specs:
Windows 10 Pro x64
MS Windows Defender active, no other security packages
MS Outlook
Cox Internet Preferred package with the Cox provided DOCSYS 3.0 NetGear N450 modem/router

My issues: For several weeks, my various Cox email accounts have intermittent problems sending or receiving emails through Outlook 2007. When receiving emails, I'll get the Outlook pop-up error window stating:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Task 'myemailaddress' - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92 or some other error code) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This issue happens consistently, several times a day with all my Cox email accounts...then emails will suddenly work again...then the issue reappears, rinse & repeat...it's an ongoing cycle of working/not working throughout the day for the past few weeks now.

I don't bother calling Support about this because they usually blame Outlook and do nothing. It's not an Outlook problem. Everything works great, when it works...then this sudden issue pops once or twice a year, as so many other customers have been reporting. And as mentioned by other customers, Cox somewhat acknowledges that they know about this problem with email and it's been kicked upstairs for a harder look.

In the past, I've reset my Outlook settings for the Cox emails, tried different settings and ports according to the Cox email support docs, and even deleted my Cox email account profiles within Outlook and recreated them (in case they were corrupted). Nothing has worked.

This happens regularly, so please Cox...don't ask the usual questions about using Webmail, trying another computer, etc. We know, and you know, this has been a persistent, recurring issue with Cox email accounts for many years and these suggestions don't work or fix anything.

Usually, Cox Support hems & haws and says they're working on it...or they wrongly blame Outlook...and nothing gets resolved. After repeated complaints to report the issue, they'll usually reset or do something to solve the issue.

So I'm adding my issue & complaint here to be resolved also. Please fix this email issues ASAP.

Thank you.

No RepliesBe the first to reply