Forum Discussion

PissedOff_1
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cox email security

In this age of heightened concern over security and hacking by foreign powers, I find it interesting that that the security provided by Cox for it's email customers is from the 1980's.  Anyone that knows your email address can log into your account, select the option that they forgot their email password, and then change your password.  Two factor authentication to address this problem is not even supported by Cox.  Watch your email account closely.  Hackers can access your account and send mass email distributions in your name without your knowledge.  Please contact Cox and ask they update their security protocols to 21srt century standards.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi PissedOff_1. I will be glad to pass this information along to management. Thanks, Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    rfcnola
    New Contributor

Can you elaborate on this problem?  I checked the various processes for retrieving a password and, although I agree 2 factor authentication would improve security, it doesn't seem to me that "Anyone that knows your email address can log into your account, select the option that they forgot their email password, and then change your password." Below is a screen snapshot showing that a password reset link will be sent to the associated email address. The other methods of retrieving account information require your Cox PIN or the last 4 digits of your SS #.  What am I missing?

About 10 years ago Cox began using SSL/TLS for email accounts — before then I had lots of problems with email addresses being spoofed. Since then I have had very few problems with my Cox email accounts.